Memory problem causing computer to restart

RiverStyx

Veteran XV
This is what I have

Samsung PC2100 512MB DDR 133mhz
2 Samsung PC2100 256MB DDR 266mhz
WinXP Pro
1.6gig AthlonXP (not oced)

My mobo supports up to 3gigs of DDR, PC2100 and both 133 and 266mhz. The 512 is in DDR1 and the two 256s are in DDR2-3. The restart happens randomly, I could be doing anything from unraring, installing, opening winamp etc; no error message, no sound, just restarts. sometimes an error pops up saying something about not being able to read memory, but dosent restart

any thoughts?

i had same problem

take out the 256's and see if your restarts stop

it's due to bad ram

mine restarts at random when im playing games, or once today for teh first time when watching one of those skyline movies... occasioanly windows crash annalysis gives me "this problem was caused by a device driver".... lotta fuckin help that is... i run a 64mb gf4 4200, duron 801mhz processor... open case, so i dont think its cooling... might be power supply but i dotn know how many W mine is right now...

mine said it was a device driver too.

i got a good stick of 512 3500 and everything works magically now

magic ddr fairies with tampon strings hanging out

Moker said:
mine said it was a device driver too.

i got a good stick of 512 3500 and everything works magically now

magic ddr fairies with tampon strings hanging out

that would require me to sit infront of teh computer with it off.....

right click on my computer-->properties-->Advanced-->Settings--uncheck "Automatically Reboot"...then you'll get a BSOD, and hopefully an error message

the error message should read somehting like:

"Xaphan is a troll and has caused your computer to restart, please format your computer now"

:bigthumb:

The problem is probably due to the banks of ram in use. Read up on your board some and determine the correct layout and density required for mixing ram types.
Also, try putting it 256/512/256 and see if it does anything

Moker said:
yes

*edit*
don't mind xaphan, he's a local troll

jeez, i've never been hacked or really fucked with alot cuz im usualy pretty good at spotting scams, i've fallen victim once, and almost reformatted jsut now.... thanks tribal war

ok

both 256s run fine seperatly and together

if I put one 256 in with the 512 it works, but I soon as I put the other 256 in the 3rd slot, problems arise. happens with either stick of 256 or the 512 in the 3rd slot.

RiverStyx said:
ok

both 256s run fine seperatly and together

if I put one 256 in with the 512 it works, but I soon as I put the other 256 in the 3rd slot, problems arise. happens with either stick of 256 or the 512 in the 3rd slot.

make and model of mobo?

ASK-CandyMan said:
The problem is probably due to the banks of ram in use. Read up on your board some and determine the correct layout and density required for mixing ram types.
Also, try putting it 256/512/256 and see if it does anything

Back