Mass Effect 3 Ending being fixed.

Waks

Veteran X
BBC News - Mass Effect 3 row prompts change to add 'further closure'

Gamers unhappy with the endings of Mass Effect 3 will get "further closure" thanks to new added content, developer Bioware has announced.

Large numbers of fans had complained that the finale to the popular saga did not live up expectations.

The company said they would provide a number of "game content initiatives" to clarify aspects of the game's plotline.

In a blog post, Bioware co-founder Ray Muzyka described the feedback as "incredibly painful".

"Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics - but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility," he said.

Gamers flocked to forums shortly after the game's release earlier this month to complain that the game's different endings were underwhelming.

Through the series, which made its debut in 2007, players would make choices over how to continue within the game. They been promised that these decisions, of which there were over 1000, would impact the conclusion.

However, thousands complained that Mass Effect 3 only had three alternative endings, with no significant differences between them.

As part of their campaign to have the game changed, supporters have raised more than $70,000 (£44,000) for a children's charity.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player”

Ray Muzyka
Bioware
'Passionate reaction'
Mr Muzyka continued: "Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it.

"The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us."

It remains to be seen how Bioware will work in the changes in order to satisfy the disgruntled gamers.

Keza MacDonald, UK games editor for IGN.com, said: "It's highly unusual for a developer to release downloadable content [DLC] that actually alters the ending of a game - usually it comes in the form of extra missions or more story details for people who want them.

"Games like Portal 2 and Fallout 3 have had their endings altered slightly to accommodate DLC or a sequel, but that wasn't a reaction to fan requests. It's not certain that Bioware actually will change the ending, but if they do, it'd be pretty much unprecedented."

It seems they are going to fix the problems with the ending and give more of an explanation.

And it can all be yours for 3 easy payments of $9.99... but wait, there's more! Pre-Order now and get a custom monocle and special edition mustachio at no extra charge!

Don't delay, we can't guarantee this offer for long (or even at all!). EA Origin Operators are standing by!

Last edited:
They aren't changing the ending (necessarily) they are just introducing some more information or some closure via DLC or something.

You're telling me you wouldn't pay for a monocle and mustache?

mods3.png

And it can all be yours for 3 easy payments of $9.99... but wait, there's more! Pre-Order now and get a custom monocle and special edition mustachio at no extra charge!

I'm hoping it will be free. Probably not, but one can hope.

i think the thing most of the hardcore fans hated was that no matter how good you did shepard dies.

there is no non death option.

and the sequence at the end of the credits means nothing, how incredibly implausible would it be for shepard to plummet to earth and survive the destruction of the citadel.

i think the thing most of the hardcore fans hated was that no matter how good you did shepard dies.

and the sequence at the end of the credits means nothing, how incredibly implausible would it be for shepard to plummet to earth and survive the destruction of the citadel.

Ah man, why did I read this...

I would have preferred a final mission and cutscene that could have gone in like 50 directions depending on your decisions.

Wouldn't it be considerably more epic if you went through a a gauntlet of challenges that would be nearly impossible if you didn't gather enough military resources? Wouldn't it be awesome if you went up against some super evil reaper creature that would be nearly impossible to finish off, but at the last second Jack's biotic artillery came swooping in and finished it off?

Wouldn't it be awesome if you needed to push through some massive reaper defenses and will risk losing several members of your squad, but Wrex and his Krogan crew come to your rescue and bullrush the defenses for you?

Wouldn't you want to see a massive cerberus mech pop up in front of you with guns drawn and then see a platoon of allied geth come falling from the sky to support you?

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have a series of endings ranging from all organic life is destroyed all the way up to everyone lives, the mass relays are all functional, and the reapers have been wiped out of existence?

I wanted an ending where all my decisions were thrown in my face, sceaming out, "Aren't you glad you managed to make peace with the Quarian and the Geth now?" "Don't you wish you killed that Rachni queen when you had the chance?" Instead I got a holographic telephone where I could talk to the people who are alive one last time and make some idle chat with them.

I would have preferred a final mission and cutscene that could have gone in like 50 directions depending on your decisions.

Wouldn't it be considerably more epic if you went through a a gauntlet of challenges that would be nearly impossible if you didn't gather enough military resources? Wouldn't it be awesome if you went up against some super evil reaper creature that would be nearly impossible to finish off, but at the last second Jack's biotic artillery came swooping in and finished it off?

Wouldn't it be awesome if you needed to push through some massive reaper defenses and will risk losing several members of your squad, but Wrex and his Krogan crew come to your rescue and bullrush the defenses for you?

Wouldn't you want to see a massive cerberus mech pop up in front of you with guns drawn and then see a platoon of allied geth come falling from the sky to support you?

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have a series of endings ranging from all organic life is destroyed all the way up to everyone lives, the mass relays are all functional, and the reapers have been wiped out of existence?

I wanted an ending where all my decisions were thrown in my face, sceaming out, "Aren't you glad you managed to make peace with the Quarian and the Geth now?" "Don't you wish you killed that Rachni queen when you had the chance?" Instead I got a holographic telephone where I could talk to the people who are alive one last time and make some idle chat with them.

so you aren't mad about the ending. you just wanted the final battles to be more intense and impacted by previous choices. which i agree with.

but the ending i enjoyed because i took it for what it was, a story being told. as with any epic hero story, the hero doesn't always live happily ever after. in this one he died, the ending was predetermined by the story.

that is why they have the stargazer segment after the credits, because that is exactly how your supposed to view the series, as a story being told. it's also why the decisions you make didn't significantly alter the end. because when a story gets passed down from person to person, the middle of the story can vary. in the end though, everyone knows and tells the same ending.

Oh, also:

Why did I go on a mission to get some exhaust pipe for the guys in engineering specifically to prevent highly dangerous plasma from venting into their room if they get hit with something big while travelling faster than light? In the ending sequence, the normandy gets hit with something big while travelling faster than light and I saw nothing that would have indicated that piece of pipe we installed saved any lives.

i hope they don't screw us over with a cheap little 9.99 dlc and instead give us a $20 real ending pack

Exactly. Your choices throughout the series meant next to nothing by the end.

Also the shitty reasoning for creating the Reapers, the nearly identical endings, etc.

Back