Malygos 10

he doesnt need precision. he just needs to realize that when he's raid buffed all he needs is 268 hit. that's it. the rest is covered in raid buffs, assuming u have a draeni in group. and even if you don't, your dps loss from not being right at hit cap isn't severe.

Also, chaotic skyflare, is the ONLY meta gem that any mage uses, regardless of spec.

It's kind of funny to see you say that after years of "get hit capped" and "hit is god" from the WoW community since TBC went live.

I understand about balance though.

It's kind of funny to see you say that after years of "get hit capped" and "hit is god" from the WoW community since TBC went live.

I understand about balance though.

That mostly applied to melee, and specifically, rogues.

It is no longer the case with melee classes.

You can pretty much trust what the people on here are saying Data, for real. I know some of the fun is had when playing your class the way you want to play, and developing your character the way you want to develop it. But if you're looking to maximize your dps, you can rest assured that people are giving you solid advice.

When they say "get hit capped" it means hit capped for a boss with raid buffs, raiding casters have had boss dps sets and trash dps sets for long time now. Once in awhile one of our casters would be pissed they had their trash gear for boss fights, trash/aoe sets max out spell power and crit completely ignoring hit, boss dps sets are hit capped with raid buffs usually with as much haste as possible tossed in with the spell power and crit.

1. I'm not wasting points in a tree I don't use. 5 points in Frost just to unlock 3 more points in Precision is an effective DPS LOSS because those 8 points have to come out of my money tree -- Arcane.
I'm sure Prismatic Cloak, Imp Counterspell, and Magic Absorption really aid your DPS. Your argument is extremely valid on this issue.

2. I can easily gem my way to the hit cap when certain items don't provide enough to fill the gap. I'm far from Best-In-Slot gear, so we can assume that gap decreases with every run, especially now that Ulduar is out. If anything, my head and shoulder enchants need to go. Both are from TBC content.
Imagine what precision or a steady Spriest could provide not only your individual DPS but the raids DPS as a whole.

3. I did some reading on the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft and will probably look at swapping it in if I can meet the requirements and stay hit capped.
You also should consider getting the rep for the WoTLK caster helm glyph.

When they say "get hit capped" it means hit capped for a boss with raid buffs, raiding casters have had boss dps sets and trash dps sets for long time now. Once in awhile one of our casters would be pissed they had their trash gear for boss fights, trash/aoe sets max out spell power and crit completely ignoring hit, boss dps sets are hit capped with raid buffs usually with as much haste as possible tossed in with the spell power and crit.

Trash isn't a big enough deal to swap out gear for. I do try to keep alternate gear on hand just in case I can't get the extra 3% hit though (trinkets are good for this if I can ever replace Mark of the War Prisoner).

Last edited:
I hope trash is "fun" in Ulduar similar to the Belf packs you had to CC and the Arcane Guards that sometimes one shot people in BT.

We always had a prot paly in our 25 mans so all but a few pulls in the content (didn't get to sunwell though) was aoed down. Instead of DEing gear most of the casters picked up some decent options to max their aoe dps, and then have their set stats to max dps on a boss.

1. I'm not wasting points in a tree I don't use. 5 points in Frost just to unlock 3 more points in Precision is an effective DPS LOSS because those 8 points have to come out of my money tree -- Arcane.
I understand your stance on it, but as a shadowpriest I also have to put 10 points in the Discipline tree to get 3/3 Meditation (in combat mana regen++) so I already have to do the same thing you should be doing. Granted, 8 of those buff my dmg but still I'm forced to use a secondary tree to get much needed regen.

By putting points into Precision until you gear up to the point you don't need that extra +hit you can change all of your hit gems to crit/dmg or haste/dmg with 2 that hopefully have nice socket bonuses to put stam/dmg (purple), spirit/dmg (purple) or crit/spirit (green) gems in when you change to a Chaotic Skyflare meta. Swapping out 6 gems (accounting for 2 to meet meta) will give you 48crit or haste rating over what you currently have which is about the same as giving you a 3rd trinket slot with a haste or crit trinket. It won't be a 1k dps upgrade most likely, but that would be a solid DPS upgrade and you get a talent point reset today anyways so why not take advantage?

Last edited:
I understand your stance on it, but as a shadowpriest I also have to put 15 points in the Discipline tree to get 3/3 Meditation (in combat mana regen++) so I already have to do the same thing you should be doing.

By putting points into Precision until you gear up to the point you don't need that extra +hit you can change all of your hit gems to crit/dmg or haste/dmg with 2 that hopefully have nice socket bonuses to put stam/dmg (purple), spirit/dmg (purple) or crit/spirit (green) gems in when you change to a Chaotic Skyflare meta. Swapping out 6 gems (accounting for 2 to meet meta) will give you 48crit or haste rating over what you currently have which is about the same as giving you a 3rd trinket slot with a haste or crit trinket. It won't be a 1k dps upgrade most likely, but that would be a solid DPS upgrade and you get a talent point reset today anyways so why not take advantage?

Well, his spec as 68/3 is the arcane pvp build. If he was all about pve arcane, he'd have icy veins for sure.

Data I play a mage. You are wasting so many stats with your hit gems. You need to spec 57/3/11 to be a competitive arcane mage, at least that was in the 3.9. From what I've been reading today Rawr is calculating:
1. TTW/FFB
2. FFB
3. Arcane
4. Frost

TTW/FFB if you have high end near BiS gear. FFB is anywhere from 130-300dps behind but obviously more efficient with mana and slightly better equipped for AoE and the Tier8 set bonus caters to Fire specs.

Honestly, the 3% hit you get out of precision is HUUUUGE to saving you stats. If anything ignore the asses that are just being douche bags and listen to me for a second, fix your spec, re-gem your gear properly, and I guarantee you'll be topping your fail guild by more than you already are. The "core" talents you say you're taking are pretty garbage from a DPS standpoint. Honestly though, Arcane will no longer be as viable in Ulduar.

Data I play a mage. You are wasting so many stats with your hit gems. You need to spec 57/3/11 to be a competitive arcane mage, at least that was in the 3.9. From what I've been reading today Rawr is calculating:
1. TTW/FFB
2. FFB
3. Arcane
4. Frost

TTW/FFB if you have high end near BiS gear. FFB is anywhere from 130-300dps behind but obviously more efficient with mana and slightly better equipped for AoE and the Tier8 set bonus caters to Fire specs.

Honestly, the 3% hit you get out of precision is HUUUUGE to saving you stats. If anything ignore the asses that are just being douche bags and listen to me for a second, fix your spec, re-gem your gear properly, and I guarantee you'll be topping your fail guild by more than you already are. The "core" talents you say you're taking are pretty garbage from a DPS standpoint. Honestly though, Arcane will no longer be as viable in Ulduar.

Yo, I missed your message on aim. I'm on now.

if hit is needed, using the few talents instead of gems to get that hit is more efficient

wsup mait, hit me up on aim too lol.

Last edited:
I'm sure Prismatic Cloak
Instant cast invis absolutely aids my DPS. Can you think of another way to drop to zero threat during a boss fight? Not even Feign Death does that now. I'm sure I don't have to explain to you how that's significant when you're trying to maximize DPS.
Imp Counterspell, and Magic Absorption really aid your DPS. Your argument is extremely valid on this issue.
I can think of a few scenarios where a few yards of extra range helped me DPS better without being a liability. Prince and Nightbane in Kara. Void Reaver. Elementals on Vashj. Noth phase 1. Banshees on KT, and KT himself. Should I continue?

But you've only given me 7 points. Where does the 8th come from?

And you can't ignore that the 5 points spent in the first tier of Frost are 100% wasted. Even 3/3 Ice Floes only benefits Frost Nova, which is less than a tenth of 1% of my DPS in a given raid (Gluth fight, maybe some trash). That's not a good trade. I won't do it.
Imagine what precision or a steady Spriest could provide not only your individual DPS but the raids DPS as a whole.
Spriest is a nice thought, but I haven't raided with one since TBC. I haven't seen an Spriest at all outside Dalaran. Maybe my server fails.

(It does.)

You also should consider getting the rep for the WoTLK caster helm glyph.

I have exalted Kirin Tor and it's the first thing on my list to replace.

I can't help but think that you're preaching to the choir here, dude. I know what the fuck to do. I've been around. I played in the beta right up to the final minutes where GMs were walking around as elite Infernals at Crossroads killing everything and turning people into chickens. I've seen every phase and every incarnation of Mages since launch. So while I appreciate the advice, I could really do without the holier-than-thou attitude that permeates every facet of WoW discussion across the Web.

I leveled my Hunter first to scout the zones and quests because Hunters are LOL FACEROLL EASYMODE to level and Mages are... very squishy. So I'm a little late to the gear party. That's a side effect of the path I took and my unfortunate guild situation, not a complete inability to play the game.

Why are you using old content to justify a current spec? I'd REALLY love to see some WWS. Mathematically nothing you say to justify those wasted points can possibly be accurate, based on numerous spreadsheets from a number of different resources. Also, if threat is an issue for you at any point in current content, your tanks are terrible. Lastly, those two spells you are defending have nothing to do with range, perhaps you should read your tooltips more closely.

Last edited:
Why are you using old content to justify a current spec? I'd REALLY love to see some WWS. Mathematically nothing you say to justify those wasted points can possibly be accurate, based on numerous spreadsheets from a number of different resources. Also, if threat is an issue for you at any point in current content, your tanks are terrible. Lastly, those two spells you are defending have nothing to do with range, perhaps you should read your tooltips more closely.

He's not even using old content to justify it, he's using old content to give examples where his choices still suck.

He's stupid, just give up.

Oh I forgot, having to constantly compensate for an extra 3% hit instead of just having precision will certainly help your toon's DPS. In conclusion, you are an idiot.

They're not all old, and they demonstrate a mechanic where 6 yards is significant on a boss fight.

Do you want more examples? How about Maly p2 scions?

Do we really have to do this? Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge that 2 points in extended range is something I'll use every cast, and 3 points in something I'll rarely (or never) use isn't a good way to spend talents?

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Magic Attunement.

Last edited:
Back