Making my Time

fatalerror

Contributor
Veteran XX
So, for the last 6 months or so I have shown signs of cardiac distress. Short of breath, sweaty etc.

I had a heart murmur my whole life due to rheumatic fever as a child.

So, I had an cardiac cath done and the result is that instead of the valve dilating 2.5 cm it is only dilating 0.7cm. The result is that I am not getting nearly enough oxygenated blood into my body. I was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis.
Fortunately, the rest of my heart and vessels are in good shape.

I will go for a valve replacement in January that will consist of open heart surgery and a fairly long recovery time after that.

It's quite a scary prospect at age 52.

:twist:

Not at all. It has nothing to do with being fat. Like I said, the rest of my heart is healthy. I had heart damage due to rheumatic fever as a child and age and the valve being damaged culminates in this.

pretty fit and active for a 52yr old yes. I don't sit around. I can be as fit as I want and it would not have changed anything.

There have been way too many situations where forum handles = real life (hnfingers comes to mind) :x

Hang in there buddy, surgery has evolved big time, I'm sure everything will be fine.

are u getting metal valve or bioprosthetic valve?

imo get a bioprosthetic so you don't have to take warfarin for the rest of your life. i see so many people die from bleeding out because of blood thinners

aortic valve replacement no big deal anymore. they can do that shit percutaneously these days which is preferred because you dramatically increase your stroke risk after open heart surgery

So, for the last 6 months or so I have shown signs of cardiac distress. Short of breath, sweaty etc.

I had a heart murmur my whole life due to rheumatic fever as a child.

So, I had an cardiac cath done and the result is that instead of the valve dilating 2.5 cm it is only dilating 0.7cm. The result is that I am not getting nearly enough oxygenated blood into my body. I was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis.
Fortunately, the rest of my heart and vessels are in good shape.

I will go for a valve replacement in January that will consist of open heart surgery and a fairly long recovery time after that.

It's quite a scary prospect at age 52.

:twist:

God Bless I hope you pull through.

are u getting metal valve or bioprosthetic valve?

imo get a bioprosthetic so you don't have to take warfarin for the rest of your life. i see so many people die from bleeding out because of blood thinners

aortic valve replacement no big deal anymore. they can do that shit percutaneously these days which is preferred because you dramatically increase your stroke risk after open heart surgery

artificial valve. because of my age, bio is not recommended as it only lasts 10 years or so, and i will then need another 2 or 3 replacements in the future.
artificial last 20 years. yea, blood thinners will suck but hey... rather that then dead.

artificial valve. because of my age, bio is not recommended as it only lasts 10 years or so, and i will then need another 2 or 3 replacements in the future.
artificial last 20 years. yea, blood thinners will suck but hey... rather that then dead.

i'd rather take 10 years w/ a bioprosthetic valve and avoid blood thinners.

who knows what kind of crazy valve technology they will have a decade from now.

you are really restricting your quality of life on warfarin. you will be bruised all the time and constantly have to worry about food/drug interactions.

That sucks man! Wishing you all the best during the surgery and a fast recovery.

Last edited:
Back