Losing connection to wireless internet

I have my downstairs PC connected to the internet wirelessly. It reports the signal strength as "very good" with 4 out of 5 bars. I can use use the web, instant messangers, ventrillo and play games flawlessly with a good ping.

The issue pops up whenever it tries to download files. Any files, be it a large picture, video, custom map, patch anything. As soon as I start to download something, it says I have "limited connectivity" and freezes the whole computer. If I plug it in directly to the router, it works perfect.

Specs

Router: Netgear rangemax router WPN824 v2
Network Card: WPN111 external USB 2.0 network card(Driver: 1.5.0.2102)
Network controller: Nvidia nforce network controller(Driver: 65.7.4.0)

Any other info needed to diagnose let me know.

Last edited:
Windows error message

Product
Network Diagnostics Framework

Problem
Unable to diagnose/repair network problems

Date
1/4/2008 6:21 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: NetworkDiagnosticsFramework
Vendor: Microsoft
DLL: Wireless LAN Helper Class
Class: Fat MSM Helper Class
Version: 1.0
ProblemType: 01
Diagnosis: 1
Attributes: 8008F906
HelperClassParamter: 2
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
eventlog.etl

Not sure what to use to open the .etl file. It doesn't display properly in wordpad.

Network Card: WPN111 external USB 2.0 network card(Driver: 1.5.0.2102)

ugh.

anyway:

Driver updates? Any cordless phones in the vicinity? Have you tried a new channel on the router? Driver updates?

USB wireless is "meh" at best.

I've tried a few things. I updated my router and network adapter's drivers. I moved the pc upstairs and put adapter close to the router within los of it. I unplugged all the cordless phones and moved the adapter away from any metal. I still lose internet/PC freezes when I try to download anything.

Edit: I can't change the wireless channel, it only allows me to use channel 6.

Last edited:
Update: I found that if I change the mode from auto 108 MBPS to 802.11 g and b it allowed me to changed the channel. This didn't help either.

You're going to need something else with a wireless card to see if that lose connectivity as well.

Have any friends?

it's certain routers that wont work well with vista for some reason. My girlfriends computer wouldn't work at my parents house because of the type of security on the router. Try WEP rather than WPA for security and see if that fixes it.

Back