linux guru's, i have networking question.

Got Haggis?

Veteran XX
I don't know much about networking on linux.

I have an old linux server that gets its IP address from a DHCP server - lets say its 192.168.10.20.

This server used to be connected to a different network and has some software running that requires the ip address to be 192.168.5.3

is there some way to configure the network so it will have still have the right DHCP ip address, but also have the old network ip so the software will run? The software does a check and says "hey no ip address 192.168.5.3 exists, quitting"

i wasn't sure if it was possible to somehow setup a bridge or something..not sure if i'm using the correct terminology - but basically create a fake ip address so the software runs....but then still being able to access it through the DHCP network

the best i have done so far is to use a 2nd router/firewall that has dhcp and set that subnet to 192.168.5, and then VPN in from the 192.168.10 network...but i would rather not do that.

setting up a virtual ip was easy...like i said, i know p much nothing about linux networking. the software now starts...but still can't access it from the 192.168.10 network

now just gotta look up the iptables/nat stuff i guess - something like this i suppose

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --sport 8080 -o eth0 -s 192.168.10.20 -j SNAT --to-source 192.18.5.3

Last edited:
if they're on the same switched network, just having another IP should do it. otherwise you need a route

because its a license file, not a conf file. this is old outdated software we paid for and never use, had to make sure nothing of value was stored in it before i redid the server.

Read up on "IP Aliasing" add an aliased interface and assign the necessary static IP.

Back