Leveling and entry-level 60 specs for Rogue -- anything new with 2.0?

Ben Reed

Veteran X
I'm thinking about leveling up my level 44 Rogue for the expansion and I'm wondering what I need to know on the way to 60-70.

I know Combat is probably still the way to go for leveling, but do I wanna stop at Adrenaline Rush as usual and put the rest in Ass, or is it worth going 41 points for leveling? Also, do I really need MoD for leveling or no?

So far I'm looking at a 20/31/0 spec for leveling along these lines, feel free to tell me if I'm making a horrible mistake in any of my talent choices.

Once I hit 60 I figure I'll stay Combat for a while until I actually learn how to PvP (and get some non-Combat weapons & gear), so I could use some suggestions as to spec in that respect.

I eagerly await your input.

Last edited:
Pretty cookie cutter. I used endurance over imp kick while leveling and was maces but otherwise the same.

I went dagger build once I was 51 since it was about a million times easier to kill people in AV/PVP since I could ambush someone at half health and flee the zerg ;P

Mutilate is probably the best thing to happen ever for dagger builds for pvp. Since I don't raid I can't speak of it's usefulness in pve. Otherwise combat is still pretty standard and/or hemo if you get the weapons /shrug.

I've been lead to believe that combat swords is best PvE atm because it gets combat potency and that agi booster.

Very early on in my server (azshara) i was the first person with a Shifting Cloak pattern; I got it on a DM north run with some RL friends, none of which were leatherworkers. We all felt we could get more money if someone learned the pattern then just straight selling it.

Long story short, i leveled a rogue to 1-60 so i could make this cloak asap, as this was before most guilds were raiding BWL, and the cloak was reasonably decent for hunters and rogues. I used a 18/33 assassination/combat build. I was able to get to 60 in 8 days playing time; questing was ridiculously fast.

There is no reason for me to think it would be any different in the expansion, I still believe a combat sword spec will be the fastest way for a rogue to level. If you could get your hands on some HWL swords before the xpac comes out you should be good to go. I

is speccing in combat even worth it for pvp though? I was gonna pick up wow again for BC and my 54 rogue is almost entirely combat specced and seemed to fair pretty well in pvp...

Mutilate is pure facerape for PvP.

The only thing that might be close is heavy sub with Hemo and an MSA/equivalent.

I never liked combat for PvP, even when I was swords.

Just get a Renataki's and some daggers and it doesn't matter what spec you are.

Of course that trinket + speccing mutilate for cb pretty much means that once every three minutes you can just pick someone (non-pally) and kill them without them having a say.

Being on the receiving end of a mutilate build rogue is pretty nasty. I've had trash rogues in MC gear or worse evis crit me for 2k with 30% DR.

For my money it all depends on how you like to play. It you want to be a straight up "in your face" type of rogue (Then why aren't you playing a Warrior?) then Combat all the way IMO. That's the straight up "I can out-dodge, out dps and out stun you" kind of toon that, again this is totally my opinion, sort of takes a pass at playing a Rogue the way they seem to have been designed to be played.

The way I've always envisioned a Rogue is that you stealth in, do massive damage in a very short period of time, create a corpse and disappear into the shadows. So, IMO, if you want to play a rogue-ish Rogue and OMGWTFPWN people from stealth, then Mutilate is win. Period.

:D

In a related vein, I never cease to be amazed by Rogues that don't level their Lock Picking ...

:huh:

Yeah, it's even stranger now.

When I leveled my rogue I had to convince people to give me their boxes because you couldn't lockpick through trade. There were no random boxes spread through the world either. I had to pick-pocket my balls off.

They went ahead and made it easy-mode.

I'm thinking about leveling up my level 44 Rogue for the expansion and I'm wondering what I need to know on the way to 60-70.

I know Combat is probably still the way to go for leveling, but do I wanna stop at Adrenaline Rush as usual and put the rest in Ass, or is it worth going 41 points for leveling? Also, do I really need MoD for leveling or no?

So far I'm looking at a 20/31/0 spec for leveling along these lines, feel free to tell me if I'm making a horrible mistake in any of my talent choices.

Once I hit 60 I figure I'll stay Combat for a while until I actually learn how to PvP (and get some non-Combat weapons & gear), so I could use some suggestions as to spec in that respect.

I eagerly await your input.

I would go with http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...200550100050150003010000000000000000000000000 if its strictly for leveling.

I used combat for leveling, but switched to hemo @ 60 for PvP. Its pretty much the same play style as combat, but is a lot more gear dependent. I didnt like dagger builds as I found it frustrating with positionals.

Yeah, it's even stranger now.

When I leveled my rogue I had to convince people to give me their boxes because you couldn't lockpick through trade. There were no random boxes spread through the world either. I had to pick-pocket my balls off.

They went ahead and made it easy-mode.

Yup. Leveled my first rogue back when Bloodscalp was a new server. I remember sneaking into the Horde ship south of Ratchet to level to 175 then spent HOURS picking pockets in SM, the ogres in southern Tanaris (Dune Maul?) and then to get to 300 I pick-pocketed the ogres in Deadwind Pass.

Hehe ... I was in MUCH demand way back when as I was like one of a half dozen on the whole server that had 300 LP.

Yup. Leveled my first rogue back when Bloodscalp was a new server. I remember sneaking into the Horde ship south of Ratchet to level to 175 then spent HOURS picking pockets in SM, the ogres in southern Tanaris (Dune Maul?) and then to get to 300 I pick-pocketed the ogres in Deadwind Pass.

Hehe ... I was in MUCH demand way back when as I was like one of a half dozen on the whole server that had 300 LP.

I was the first 60 rogue and the first 300 LP on my server. I would NEVER do that again. FUUUUUUUUUUCK levelling LP. (Though it's supposedly much easier now, and the trade window works too...)

I did it mostly as I leveled so it wasn't tooo bad.

I would say I got 85% of 100 -> 300 from junkboxes. The rest was in Orgrimmar. Since rogue was my second character, I'm not sure if junkboxes existed in 1.0

i've always wanted to go combat with my rogue, and with the PvP gear so easily obtainable right now it's always been in the back of my head to respec. only problem is my rogue doesn't have a renataki, which you seem to need if you want to PvP as combat..

heavy sub is what? 8/0/43?

Back