Learning Guitar

I got my first guitar of my own on my 18th birthday (32 now). I took lessons with a guy for about 6 months and although I still sucked, I learned some fundamentals that I never lost.

This is where I would start with fundamentals:

-Memorize each string (EADGBe) and how they relate to each other.

-Learn every major chord in 1st position (A through G), don't worry about sharp and flat chords yet. F major and B major will be the first barre chords you learn and probably the hardest to play fluidly out of all the 1st position chords. Some chords require that you DON'T hit certain strings, other chords should be played with all 6 strings. Pay close attention to this.

-Learn every minor chord. Then follow that up with 7ths and minor 7ths. Now you can play almost any chord in any song.

-Learn major scales and chord construction. Major chords are comprised of the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of each respective scale (these notes together are called triads)

-Make sure you understand half-step and whole-steps scale intervals on the guitar (i.e. 1 fret = 1 half step, 2 frets = 1 whole step).

-Using barre chords makes it much easier to play any chord you want once you understand their relationship to each other.

-Get in the habit of alternate picking. Learn to play with both a pick and your fingers.

----

God, there are a billion little pointers I have picked up over the years that are super enlightening. I went through my entire twenties being very stubborn about not delving deeply into music theory because I really wanted to have traditional training with a teacher. That was incredibly stupid of me.

Despite that stupidity, there was seldom a week throughout that decade where I didn't pick up the guitar and noodle around. I became very proficient with the guitar itself, but my music theory stopped at what I described above because I refused to believe that I could effectively teach myself.

To this day I'm self-conscious about playing in front of others, but since I finally got my own apartment with a studio space last year, I have been able to practice unencumbered almost every day. I finally bit the bullet and dedicated some time to bolstering my knowledge of music theory and it has catapulted me farther forward than I could have ever imagined. It's amazing to see such rapid improvement in myself in <1 year after nearly 15 years of playing. The best part of it all is that I've really only scraped the surface. I feel confident that I could play solo on a stage now.

Moral of the story is that you should avoid allowing yourself to plateau. If I had done what I did this past year, 10 years ago, I would be a professional guitarist by now easily. The good news is that if you keep playing, you will get better in some immeasurable way each time you pick up the instrument.

I highly recommend acoustic guitar for a variety of reasons. Playing electric after learning acoustic will be extremely easy (although it is certainly an adjustment). I have barely played electric at all, but frankly I am excited to make the plunge because there is so much uncharted territory for me in that realm. Acoustic is so viscerally pleasing though, knowing that you and you alone are creating the sound. It's an incredibly versatile instrument, and there are so many facets to master that it's almost impossible to be a master in all of them. That means there is always something new to learn, or something else you can improve and/or experiment with.

So I will end my sperg post with questions of my own. Part of the reason why I haven't gotten into electric yet is because I have no idea what equipment I should buy. I have a small amp that I never use, but my knowledge of pedals and other starter equipment is basically zero. What would you electric gurus recommend that I start with?

Last edited:
Just get a guitar and a cord man, it doesn't need to get any more complicated than that unless there's a certain effect or sound you're looking for. A guitar is a guitar

I want to be able to experiment with effects, volume, and maybe wah pedals specifically. So I guess that's the type of product recommendations I'm looking for. I already have an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody that I've (shamefully) barely used. My daily driver acoustic is an acoustic/electric. Next purchase should be a solid body.

Here's my collection:

64jkQPE.jpg

I have a strat and a classical guitar (I can't remember the brand)

if I was actively playing again (I haven't played in years) I'd really want a Taylor and a Telecaster

I've been wanting to learn to play guitar for a while, but don't really know where to start. Some say to start with an acoustic to get the proper technique down, some say if you want to play electric, then learn on electric.

I believe there are a few players in here. Was it hard? What do you suggest for a starter guitar. I don't want to buy something that is way overkill for a beginner, but i also don't want to buy something thats junk. Should i maybe hit the local pawn shops and see what they have to offer before laying out any real money on something?

Started at 16 though I had a 10 year background prior on piano (though part of that 10 years was 3 years not playing after going up to grade 6 on royal conservatory). I do think acoustic is better to learn on, though you have to find the guitar best for you. Go to a store where you can try out a bunch of guitars. Figure out whether you prefer a wide/thick neck or not, also how far apart the strings are is important. Also how many frets the guitar has will be important down the road if you do pursue it so if you are stuck between buying 2 that might help. For me for an acoustic, I found that also where the big parts meets the neck (I play I really do not know the terminology) is important, the more neck you have the easier it is to play.

Right now I am actually looking at a 12 string acoustic to buy, so be patient and shop around.

If you ever go electric, IMO BC Rich are the best cause their pickups are top notch compared to most guitars, however you are best to again try different guitars on clean and see which sound you like the best.

What genre of music are you into playing?

Also, if you have the time learn the piano for a year, it helps with learning almost all other instruments. If you have more questions let me know, I play daily (piano = contemporary, guitar = symphonic metal)

pjERiJC.jpg

This is my setup, left to right:

Squire Strat, mia tele, epi Sheraton 2, Yamaha accoustic

In the back I have a black Star ht40 tube amp and a ditto looper pedal

I want to be able to experiment with effects, volume, and maybe wah pedals specifically. So I guess that's the type of product recommendations I'm looking for. I already have an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody that I've (shamefully) barely used. My daily driver acoustic is an acoustic/electric. Next purchase should be a solid body.

Here's my collection:

https://i.imgur.com/64jkQPE.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

That Ibanez looks cool.. along with the rest of them.

They don't make them anymore but they were pretty cool and are available cheap on ebay now. Check out a Fender G-Dec 3 (has usb and smart card slot) or the G-Dec 30 (has midi ports)

[url="https://fuse.fender.com/gdec3/"]Fender | G-DEC® 3[/url]

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_G-DEC"]Fender G-DEC - Wikipedia[/url]

It is a modeling amp with back tracks. You can try out different effects before buying pedals and the back tracks are endlessly customizable and with your understanding of scales, you would really have a blast... and $120-150 and that ill be all you need until you decide what you want.

pjERiJC.jpg

This is my setup, left to right:

Squire Strat, mia tele, epi Sheraton 2, Yamaha accoustic

In the back I have a black Star ht40 tube amp and a ditto looper pedal

Awesome. I almost bought a blackstar when they first started showing up for cheap. I kick myself for missing that deal.

i bought it from a friend for $500, it does the trick. played in a few bars and only need to put the master volume up to about a 6, so i think im good for a while :D

I know Alvarez has a shit ton of guitars

Just moved and had to come up with 37 cases lol I ended up with 36 and 1 traveled naked hahaha

shittonguitars.jpg

this is 1 of the 3 walls scrunched up together

hoard.jpg

My new studio is 1100 sq ft so I don't have to scrunch them like that anymore, they are spaced out more. Here is my 1960 LP

60LP.jpg

Last edited:
to play any instrument you need to develop the relationship between your ear and your fingers. If you cant hear it you cant really play it. You might be able to physically make sound but you're not playing. Best advice is spend a lot of time playing and understanding chords/harmony. Play a Cmaj7 every way you can until your ear is so used to it that it knows why its a Cmaj7. Know what the 3rd and 7th sound like against the root. And so on and on.

This is not really advice for you because you have fat fingers and likely little to no dexterity or rhythm

Just moved and had to come up with 37 cases lol I ended up with 36 and 1 traveled naked hahaha

shittonguitars.jpg

this is 1 of the 3 walls scrunched up together

hoard.jpg

My new studio is 1100 sq ft so I don't have to scrunch them like that anymore, they are spaced out more. Here is my 1960 LP

60LP.jpg

Good thing we don't know each other. I would be the guy that comes over all the time to play with your gear

Back