[LAWYERS] Intellectual property

Duhck

Veteran XV
So in june I had a great idea that I felt would revolutionize paintball. I did a lot of research and asking around and felt it was a great idea but I didnt have enough money or time to pursue it. Unfortunately I had made this idea 'public' by posting it on the internet.

Lo-and-behold another company with more money and more engineers were able to design EXACTLY what I had planned on doing. I am sure I can get archives off the site that I posted it on, and have files outlining the idea, as well as emails, that are dated (date modified, and email dating). Does this entitle me to intellectual property rights? I am not looking to goto court with this company, just looking for recognition, that it was mine (and my companies) idea.

Cliffs:
-I had a great idea
-I posted this idea on the internet in order to generate hype about a potential upcoming product
-I stopped pursing the idea due to cost and time
-Another company has copied the idea to the t
-What the fuck am i entitled to?

no, you have no intellectual property rights at all. you didn't patent it. tough shit.

your answers aren't entirely true. prior art is real and all that, but he probably isn't entitled to it because he made his information public, not because he didn't patent it

yeah not to mention you may not have even been able to patent it if you haven't done any work at all on it and never really intended to. Just having a swell idea is not enough, and then you went and treated it like an extremely public trade secret

Wireless electronics for paintball guns enabling multiple add ons and interfacing with a computer wirelessly

something like...changing it to full auto for a brief period?

i think thatd be easier in laser tag, kinda tough to integrate upgrades into a mechanical device

but i can definitely see why theyd want to steal your idea

So in june I had a great idea that I felt would revolutionize paintball. I did a lot of research and asking around and felt it was a great idea but I didnt have enough money or time to pursue it. Unfortunately I had made this idea 'public' by posting it on the internet.

Lo-and-behold another company with more money and more engineers were able to design EXACTLY what I had planned on doing. I am sure I can get archives off the site that I posted it on, and have files outlining the idea, as well as emails, that are dated (date modified, and email dating). Does this entitle me to intellectual property rights? I am not looking to goto court with this company, just looking for recognition, that it was mine (and my companies) idea.

Cliffs:
-I had a great idea
-I posted this idea on the internet in order to generate hype about a potential upcoming product
-I stopped pursing the idea due to cost and time
-Another company has copied the idea to the t
-What the fuck am i entitled to?

You should've patent it really. Patent it first, then seek investor later. If they patent it already, you need to try to prove to the US patent and trademark office it was prior art. It's possible but potentially difficult.

I know some patent attorneys and if i have time, I can ask them for you but I think you should've patent first :(

Back