Laptop Power Issues

sg

Veteran X
Alright I've had a Dell Inspiron 8600 for about two years and about a year ago the cat chewed through the power cord. I was able to solder it back together and it's worked fine for the past year. About a week ago the laptop still works while plugged in and on battery power except the battery won't charge when it is plugged in. Is the power cord just fucked? Is the battery fucked? Is the whole laptop fucked? Help please!

does it indicate that it's being charged (or is 100% full) and it just won't hold the charge anymore? can the laptop run with the battery disconnected?

if so, your battery is probably fucked. it happens, they just die with age, especially if you cycle it a lot.

the battery is about 50% charged right now and it will run if the power cord is unplugged. if i plug it in it wont charge at all. so basically my battery is only going down which makes me sad because now i can't read TW while i duece

so the laptop runs fine with no battery and ONLY the power cord? yeah it's probably your battery... unless something with the charging system in your laptop is screwed up (unlikely). the battery is what....3 years old almost? time for a new one probably.

Back