Laptop buying help

LoOnY911

Veteran XV
So I used to be really involved in the whole computing world but in the last few years, I've gotten into other things. I built my desktop about 5 years ago but I think it's time to replace it. My power supply has been failing for about a year (needs to be warm in order to boot + post) and my vid card fan died 2 weeks ago so I glued a case fan to it.

So anyway, I want a laptop. My budget is ~ $2200. I don't need a big monitor (15.4 is probably fine) because I plan on using my dell 20" for when its sitting at my desk. I play games casually. I really don't care about the OS because I'll end up formatting it and putting XP on it. I'd prefer at least 2GB of ram. Doesn't need a blue ray player or burner.

I'm really looking for advice on which brands you guys would recommend. I've dealt with many overheating Dells before. Gateway? HP? Smaller company (Acer?) Not sure. If you want to send me a build, I'd more than appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
so after some research, here are my potential options:

Gateway P-172X FX
Gateway Computers: Store - Product Details for Gateway® P-172X FX Edition

Sager NP5793
custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks

Alienware m15x
Alienware Area-51 m15x high performance gaming notebook computer – Learn More

Anyone have any experience with any of these brands? I've been reading on a couple review sites that Sager is a good brand. Alienware? I've always kinda thought they were for the annoying, rich kids who knew nothing about computers but wanted cool lights. I think I'm leaning towards the Sager but the Gateway comes in at a close second.

The only reason the alienware is up there is because its a 15.4 incher and I wanted a smaller screen just because I have a 20" dell monitor that I would end up using while it was docked (90% of the time).

Any advice/thoughts/opinions?

Last edited:
My friend bought a Sager from OtakuMark on the forums who could save you a few hundred dollars. His laptop is really nice, and Sager laptops in general seem to be a lot of bang for your buck even without the discount.

m15x has overheating issues. If you're willing to wait, buy your laptop end of june/early july. The montevina platform will be announced/released then but I'm not sure whether it'll fit within your price range or not...

I've owned both Dell and HP laptops. The dell was a beast, but it was also a P4M 3.0 and the HP is a C2D.

I bought my HP about 6 months ago, I looked mainly at Dell, Lenovo, HP, Gateway, and Sony. I came to the conclusion that mostly they were pretty good candidates you just have to be careful about prebuilt configurations.

Don't rule out HP because of their past history. They're making solid laptops that don't get overly hot (read: this is/was the downfall of Dell laptops)

Honestly, stick with one of the bigger brands, customer support on laptops is always a huge plus. Personally I bought mine from staples because I got a free 2 year warranty. Staples has a policy where they will simply hand you a new model if it gets screwed up under warranty. I like that due to the fact that if I'm taking it places that means other people might be near it.

If you post what you'll be using it for primarily, we can tell you where to spend extra and where you can get by with lesser components.

Back