[KOTOR2] Brightness Problem

Sanity

Contributor
Veteran X
When playing the game (Knights of the Old Republic II), the brightness that I set the game on tends to not stick. This pretty much happens when I load in a new area, or after a movie sequence. I can set the brightness on the highest that it can go, but once I hit one of those two points my game goes pretty dark (to the point where I can barely make out people). When I look back in the options, it says that the brightness is still at what I set it at, but I have to click it once for it all to go back in order.

I'd check the kotor2 forums, but there arent any :\ The lucasarts forums for kotor2 are pathetic.

I've got the following:
Windows XP Professional (with SP2)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (set at 1.8 ghz)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (256 MB)
(All drivers are updated.)

My settings for the game are on high, and I've tested out pretty much all the resolutions/graphics settings and the problem still occurs.

any known fixes for this kind of thing in games?

The game is just incredibly buggy and they won't do anything about it. As far as I remember, KOTOR 2 just has issues with ATI cards.

I don't have any problems with the gamma and brightness inside the game on my 9600 XT, but once I exit it, the brightness is very high in Windows.

I have to go in the "Color" tab of the ATI control panel to reset brightness to Windows' default level. Just going in the "Color" tab fixes it, there's no need to tweak it manually.

I haven't even tried to finish the game, but not because of the bugs. The atmosphere is just not as nice as the original one.

edit: On a side note, another guy from TW uninstalled KOTOR 2 and apparently, the game "deleted" half of his other files and messed up his entire system. I don't know if that was only PEBCAK or if the game is that crazy.

Here is the thread: http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376038

Last edited:
bLiSS said:
I haven't even tried to finish the game, but not because of the bugs. The atmosphere is just not as nice as the original one.

I completely agree :\ Not digging the characters too much either.

Guess I'm just going to have to deal with the brightness problem.

Back