Just lost out on my dream job due to credit score - anyone know about "Kroll" ?

Pen

Veteran XV
Just lost out on my dream job due to credit score - anyone know about "Kroll" ?

So I interviewed at a huge company - one of the top 10, probably top 5 internet/online companies.

Had a great interview, was super excited about the job, they thought I was perfect, and then they ask for this enormous background check. Well, I have no criminal or substance issues or anything, but apparently the company composites your credit into a "percentile" or a percentage score - I am still trying to figure this out.

They have a cutoff score you have to hit and I missed it by 7 points. Ouch. The manager said that they can't make exceptions (SOX compliance) but said I should try to bring up my score and if I do, I have a job.

So when I moved from IT to recruiting back in 2005, my income was like 60% less and I was selling off personal property to eat while I tried to make money in the business. It was bad and credit cards went unpaid. Utilities went unpaid.

Anyway, I slowly brought my income up but it took several years and really, it has just been this last year (Thanks Obama!) that I have been doing what I would call "well". I can finally pay my expenses, buy the things we need and have some money left over.

Now I am looking at my credit mess trying to figure out what to do. I have some charge offs and some open delinquint accounts. Some are only a few hundred and I could knock those off pretty easily.

Anyone got some advice? Should I try to go to some of them and try to negotiate? how do you decide what to fix first? If I knocked off a number of the smaller accounts, would that bring me up?

I need some strategy. They used to tell you to challenge stuff on your report until the companies failed to prove and the items dropped off - does that even work?

Is there a professional I can talk to that will help me make some good decisions and fix this?

My dream job awaits and all I have to do is bring my score up by about 15%

FREECREDITREPORT.COM

Yeah, the irony is that their service is not free. But their commercials are hilarious.

I actually still have a really good job - its a contract and it pays well and while it is officially temporary, it could go on as long as I need it. And I work from home. And it pays well.

But working from home makes me a little crazy.

you mean krull?
krull.jpg

btw, how much do you owe total?

I did this a few years back. The main thing to do is report every item on there. Ironically, I had 4 items, the 3 'legit' ones I was able to bs off the report, and the one that was actually identity theft I wasn't able to take off.

they used to do this so whether they do it anymore or not i dont know but, pay off all smaller debts in full with the credit card company but before you do, you must demand that once its paid in full, they remove it from your credit report. there are ways to negotiate your payment with the credit card companies and their reporting of you to the credit agencies. it takes something like a month though.

attempt to negotiate everything you can... ie: 'I'll pay you X amount of money but you have to remove this from my credit report, not just say it's paid' (this is rare, but the shittier places will do it)

settle everything you can, if there are small accounts, like a couple hundred bucks, don't ask for a payment plan, ask for a one time payoff reduction, and take it, don't just pay it because you have the money.

if there is a huge account you know you won't be able to pay for years, don't fuck with it, worry about the small stuff, since you are only interested in a higher score as fast as possible.

If you have abandoned credit, get one of those 'pay in advance' fake credit cards that report well for you.

also, don't touch shit that is close to 7 years(i think it's 7) thats gonna fall off anyway

that makes no sense to me

they didn't give you the job because of your credit score? How would your credit score affect your ability to perform your duties at a new job?

I've never heard of credit score affecting a job ... ever. First drug tests for jobs, now credit checks? it seems completely insane to me

what's next? we won't hire you because your body fat percentage is too high?

they didn't give you the job because of your credit score? How would your credit score affect your ability to perform your duties at a new job?

I've never heard of credit score affecting a job ... ever. First drug tests for jobs, now credit checks? it seems completely insane to me

Credit check has become pretty common in the hiring process. They figure the lower the score the higher the risk of you stealing shit from them/pulling other nefarious shenanigans.

Its bullshit, yes...but very common.

because once you get above tossing boxes, a really big part of any job is interacting with other people. Personal character has a lot to do with shit like reliability(and not just lol im here by 8 every day).

how you handle your personal finances says a lot about your priorities, reliability, and personal character.

Some people would starve to death before they went back on a personal commitment or promise, and a lot of companies would like someone like that working for them, rather than some dipshit that can't handle a cell phone contract.

Almost every company does a credit check before hiring now. It's a pretty good indicator of how responsible you are.

because once you get above tossing boxes, a really big part of any job is interacting with other people. Personal character has a lot to do with shit like reliability(and not just lol im here by 8 every day).

how you handle your personal finances says a lot about your priorities, reliability, and personal character.

Some people would starve to death before they went back on a personal commitment or promise, and a lot of companies would like someone like that working for them, rather than some dipshit that can't handle a cell phone contract.

Some people have shit happen, too. Say you have a family member get sick and chose to take time off work to take care of them. Finances get tight and you miss a $20 payment here and there.

WELL SHIT I GUESS YOU DON'T DESERVE A GOOD JOB EVER AGAIN YO!

better start chucking boxes i guess, cause you took care of your family i guess you don't have any 'personal character' right ?

Kroll is a credit vendor. This company must use them to pull their employment screening.

If they're using it for employment screening, they're obligated to provide you with a copy. So you should start there, so that you're seeing what they're seeing. It should help you identify some of the first places to start.

The advice about correcting, getting caught up, and getting agreements for companies to report the changes are all sound. I'd recommend the forums at CreditBoards for much more specific info and help.

Some people have shit happen, too. Say you have a family member get sick and chose to take time off work to take care of them. Finances get tight and you miss a $20 payment here and there.

better start chucking boxes i guess, cause you took care of your family i guess you don't have any 'personal character' right ?
Part of being responsible is being prepared for shit to happen, and still not miss a payment. Granted there are situations beyond prediction or preparation, but again truly responsible people don't often face them.

yes, exactly, companies aren't interested in hiring good people that had a run of bad luck, and credit score isn't just a factor, it's ALL that matters. :rolleyes:

When you are a good, strong company, and people are beating down your door to work for you, you get to hire the best.

Fucking deal with it, or work for the government... it's so reliable! :lol:

Back