just bought a kindle

beardston

Veteran-5
I dont like to carry books around but like to read thought this might be a solution for that. any suggestions on books to download?

identifying-wood.jpg

i just bought one yesterday as well, love it so far

im starting "The Plague" by Albert Camus. an existential classic and right up my alley personally

read super freakanomics when at my parents on mine.

Nice easy interesting read, though youd probably wanna read freakanomics first

I got one for my mom for her birthday because she loves to read and has some problems tracking after eye surgery. I need to figure out what books she might like - download them - and load them on her Kindle now.

I had plans of buying a Kindle, but Overstock.com had a Nook 3G + WIFI refurb for $87 on black friday. I couldn't pass that up.

Plus it seems as though they've fixed most of the Nook's issue's with the latest firmware.

Barnes & Noble has begun rolling out an updated version of its Nook firmware to those who own its e-ink e-readers. Considered a major update, the company says that version 1.5 of the firmware "will dramatically increase" the page-turn speeds of the Nook 3G and Nook Wi-Fi and deliver additional feature and performance enhancements.
While the user interface has largely stayed the same, search functionality on the device has improved, password protection has been added, and you can now organize your library into categories or "shelves," as they're called on the Nook. Also, the update finally allows you to read continuously (sync from your last page read) across your Nook and any device enabled with the Nook app. Like with the Kindle, you can now pick up and read where you left off as you switch from one device to another.
We got an early look at the update and were able to compare page-turn speeds of a Nook running the older 1.4 firmware to a Nook with the new firmware installed and the page turns are significantly faster (company reps said "50 percent faster"). The third-generation Kindle still has a slight edge in page-turn speed, but Barnes & Noble has managed to close the gap. Before, when using the Kindle, it was glaringly noticeable how much faster the page turns were (basically double the speed). Now, not so much. Why didn't Barnes & Noble have this update sooner? That we can't tell you, but Nook owners will be happy it's now available.
The company says it's rolling out the update in waves (you have to turn your wireless to have the device automatically updated with the new firmware), so some Nook owners will get the update before others. Alternatively, you can manually download the update here and load it onto your Nook yourself.
In announcing the launch of Nook firmware 1.5, Barnes & Noble also said it was updating its Nook for Android app to version 2.4. As always, we encourage comments, particularly in regard to the 1.5 update for the Nook.

David Carnoy

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20023514-1.html#ixzz16XPCEpj3

Last edited:
I used my dads nook during thanksgiving, he got it in August, the bottom part was color but no idea what version it was.

It was crap, it was slow, the touch screen part seems almost unusable, felt cheap compared to the kindle too.

I was really not impressed, it seemed to be trying to be too much.

I used my dads nook during thanksgiving, he got it in August, the bottom part was color but no idea what version it was.

It was crap, it was slow, the touch screen part seems almost unusable, felt cheap compared to the kindle too.

I was really not impressed, it seemed to be trying to be too much.

Yeah, I wanted a Kindle from the start, but it just came down to how much money I wanted to spend. There were no good black friday deals on Kindle's (except older gen ones). With the latest firmware, I'm sure the nook is comparable to the Kindle.

As long as you remove DRM protection and use something like calibre you can for the Kindle use books from the "store."

I have 3G/Wifi nook with latest firmware and it is just as fast and it feels exactly the same as a kindle everywhere else. Plus the nook has an expandable SD slot, EPub format allows you to borrow books from library etc while kindle cannot. You can go to any Barnes & Noble and read any book available for an hour each day if that your thing. Android based so it is possible to hack and do some nifty things like Pandora streaming.

I've used both and they both do a great job for what they are but I dislike the way the kindle is going the apple -> itunes type route for getting content and not allowing expansion.

And for me being nerdy and downloading CBR rips that take up huge amounts of space not being able to use an expansion card would mean deleting and I don't want to have to pick and choose what I keep on my reader. Instead I keep my 4k+ books and comics on and read as I please.

The kindle is good, but the nook is better. There is only one major reason for this: the nook better supports adobe pdf. Reading pdfs on a kindle is exhausting. The nook has native support that allows manipulation of pdf text ... so you can actually read it. Plus, you can change the battery and add more storage space. The nook also offers extra like: chess and that stupid jap sudoku thing.

I was a big fan of the kindle (I bought it when it was $400). But, the nook took the idea and improved on it.

reading journal articles would be my main use for one of these devices, so this "the nook" sounds interesting

Back