Jack Thompson sues Facebook for $120m

afex

Contributor
Veteran XV
Game censorship crusader sues Facebook for $120m ? The Register

Anti-video game gadfly Jack Thompson is suing Facebook for $120 million, accusing the social website of causing him emotional distress by not removing threatening comments posted by gamers.

Thompson claims that on August 27 he sent a fax marked "URGENT" to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, demanding all such postings be removed. That missive was ignored by the executive, according to the complaint, as were two more faxes he sent 11 days later.

:rofl:

who the fuck sends faxes. what a douche.

I've never understood why fax machines are still around. But they are and they still get regular usage. :shrug:

the FAX is still used a lot in business. Scanning a document and sending it to someone is a lot harder then just faxing. Makes getting signatures and shit like that easy.

the FAX is still used a lot in business. Scanning a document and sending it to someone is a lot harder then just faxing. Makes getting signatures and shit like that easy.
And I think there are still some legal reasons behind it. Like some documents do not have to be presented in person, but you have make a concerted effort to deliver them. So you send a copy via certified mail, fax them a copy and then attest that they were delivered that way. The court then considers that a valid attempt was made to deliver them.

Tho IANAL.

this makes me want to join the "Jack Thompson should be smacked across the face with an Atari 2600" facebook group

Ya fax's still get used a bunch witch always strikes me as odd. I don't think its really that much of a legal thing as it is just dead simple and paper hard copies are often prefered by the person doing the work with said bit of paper. So if they get scanned docs and then the first hting they do is print it, why not just have it faxed.

Example our pay office gets all the casual slips faxed in from diff departments.

my company works with a lot of small offices and businesses in 3rd world countries, where faxes are still common. The often have no other way of sending a signed application.

Remember that time he didn't donate money like he said he would then the dorks at pennyarcade did just to make him look like that much more of a piece of shit?

Back