It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Musashi

SGT Shred
Veteran XX
Getting into the Christmas spirit, I've started writing short stories to be tucked in alongside gifts to the family. I figure I can do a half dozen in a month.

The first:

Gift of the Magi

By Musashi

The platinum fob chain glimmered in the shop window. Twenty one dollars.

clutching her purse, she pried it open and inspected the contents. One dollar and eighty seven cents and the next day it was Christmas. She stood by the window and looked out dully at a gray cat walking a gray fence in a gray backyard. Tomorrow would be Christmas Day, and she had only $1.87 with which to buy Jim a present. Only $1.87 to buy a present for Jim. Her Jim.

There were only two possessions they owned in which they took any pride. One was Jim's gold watch that had been his father's and his grandfather's. The other was Della's hair.

She ran down the street. Where she stopped the sign read: "Mme. Sofronie. Hair Goods of All Kinds." Della collected herself and entered.
"Will you buy my hair?" asked Della.
"I buy hair," said Madame. "Take yer hat off and let's have a sight at the looks of it." Down rippled the brown cascade.
"Twenty dollars," said Madame, lifting the mass with a practiced hand.
"Give it to me quick," said Della.

The next morning, Jim gave her a package wrapped in plain paper. Opening it, she let out an ecstatic cry of joy chased quickly away by a wail. For there lay The Combs--the set of combs, side and back, that Della had worshiped long in a Broadway window. The perfect combs to wear in her now vanished hair.

"But how did you afford..." Della stopped short, realizing what Jim had done. "You sold the watch to get the money to buy me combs, and I sold my hair to buy you a fob for your watch." She threw her arms around him, "What matters is that our gifts were given out of love"

Unfolding from her embrace, Jim checked the time on his watch. "I don't know why you sold your hair. I know a man from Macau who will pay good money for organs harvested from the homeless."

The other Tweaked story I wrote earlier this year:

Footsteps

by Musashi

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with Yog-Sothoth
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Outer God,
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Outer God about it.
"Yog-Sothoth, you who are the key and guardian of the gate,
you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The the Outer God replied, "My precious, precious child,
we are not on a beach, and you are not in a dream.
You have been in an asylum these twenty years
since glimpsing the infinite,
and you are pounding your head on the cell door screaming."

1304698208686.jpg

Back