ISP Problem

m0nKeY

Veteran X
Cliff Notes @ Bottom

I have noticed lately that my upload speed is completely crap. I decided to run a speed test and found that I was getting upload speeds of 17Kbps and download speeds of 250kbps. I use a local isp and get "Wireless DSL" (it's 9.4ghz wireless signal from an antennae on top of my house) and it is advertised as 256k (doesn't indicate whether thats download or upload and download). I e-mailed the tech support asking them if it was supposed to be that low and this is the response I recieved, I think they just don't want to admit their services suck (too bad its the only thing in my area besides dial-up).
---------------------------------

My E-mail:

I was wondering what the upload speed was supposed to be for your wireless internet service? I currently use it and my download speed is fine, but I've ran a few tests and I'm only getting 17kbps or less for my upload speed. That seems very low, so I was wondering what I might be able to do to improve this.

Thanks
------------------------------------

Their Reply:

17 Kilobytes which is what your browser or tester is reporting is actually 136 kilobits. Therefore you connection is running at a phenomenal speed.

If you have any question please feel free to contact us.

Thank You,
-------------------------------------

My Reply:

I checked, and it is reporting it in kilobits. I get an average of about 230Kbps download but only 16 or 17 Kbps. Should I be getting higher speeds or is that normal for wireless?
Thank you very much for your help.

Their reply:

That is the normal speed for your wireless account, in fact your going a little faster than you should. But I won't say anything.

Thank You,

What do you guys think?

CLIFF NOTES:
-My upload sped sux (17kilibits a sec)
-I email isp
-They say i have wrong number and its 17kiloBYTES a sec
-I say I checked and it is 17 kiloBITS
-They say its going faster than it should be, but they "won't say anything"

Last edited:
Yah I thought I was gettin owned, especially because it costs $60/month. There is one other wireless company in the area but I'm not sure if they are any better/cheaper.

Back