[ISP] can my apartment complex decide my internet provider

PropIsDead

Veteran X
??? -- It says no where in my lease agreement that I HAVE to have AT&T, but when I called Verizon to get FIOS, the Rep said I couldn't have service at that location for no specified reason other than that he couldn't. The complex across the street has FIOS, my neighbors have FIOS ... Apparently AT&T is the only provider that I am 'allowed' to have. Is this even fucking legal? :ugh:. BTW this is in CA

Fuck.

yes they can

they can have a fibre-to-building box set up, linked up to a proprietary cabinet/exchange down the street, very common in downtown apartment blocks that used to be oldschool IT businesses

its not exactly common, but when it happens you're fucked because they sure as fuck wont pay to remove expensivel-laid fibre that they can say adds value to the property (and probably had to factor into the asking price when they bought it)

Last edited:
I talked the ppl above me they said that the leaser locked them into either AT&T or DirectTV .. im just so sad.

I wish they'd have mentioned that when I moved in .. but they didn't.

Hey the good news is if you bitch you can get better deals. They situations usually have one sales rep that handles the entire building and he can set you up with some major savings.

very common here in Houston, at least you got AT&T and were not stuck with some no-name provider. Even downtown where data flows like wine I got locked out of cable internet/tv because of an arrangement the complex had setup.

am, I figured i'd be allowed the choice of ISPs, being that this was the first time ive ever heard of this happening.

never again!

You should search for the Rental Agreement Act (or whatever it is in America).

In Australia you're _NOT_ forced to use what the landlord/owners want you to use for utility services - even if they say you must in your contract, its void, because the act cannot be overridden for that rule.

Back