Is the Crappler Ruining T:V?

I'm a capper and notorious grappler turtle, and I can say that it is waaaaaaay to easy to gain speed with the thing. The elasticity should get cut in half at least.

I agree that it makes chasing very hard. If anyone can dig up MJK_ of T:V MP demo fame, he can tell you that he and 4 other teammates of his were chasing me around on Winterlake for 10 or so minutes before they could finally kill me. In that time, I had virtually no cover from my teammates, and could afford to go inside my base after every 3 to 6 circles around the map.

I think it's too powerful, but don't think gameplay elements should be taken out after they've been part of game for a while. Something else (no clue what) should be added to balance gameplay.

Phantom88 said:
Those that were good in skiing in the first months it was discovered dominated T1.
Those that were good in vehicles dominated T2 all the time.
Those that are good with the grappler will dominate T:V until others get good with it too.

It's not a matter of people not being good with the grappler... it's that there is NO real means to counter it's use.

If you are chasing someone and they are grappling, then you can either try to get off a half-assed shot while you choke on their dust as they speed away, or or grapple too... which means you cannot shoot, and negates the point of having given chase in the first place.

It basically grants a free ride back to home for the capper, and narrows the game down to nothing but a series of flag standoffs... which gets old about halfway through the first map.

-Half

Last edited:
Doing loops and shazbot like that is not easy. Now all your complaining about is being beaten by someone who's better at the game than you.

Arcanox said:
Doing loops and shazbot like that is not easy. Now all your complaining about is being beaten by someone who's better at the game than you.
Personally, I'm complaining about being able to keep the flag away from 5 attackers for several minutes, some of whom might be even better than me.

It's easier for someone to do "loops and shazbot" than to kill someone else who's doing it just as well as they could. If gameplay were balanced, nothing would be more or less challenging for a specific player, and the more skilled player/team would always win.

Arcanox said:

What makes it difficult for you? I found it rather simple to play keep-away with the grappler for excessive periods of time.

People that use this annoying tactic aren't really making the game any more appealing. If all you want to do is play rabbit, why not go find a rabbit server?

G|ga said:
what is really ruining the game, is all the whining here.

Nobodys trying to whine; there are a lot of issues with T:V that are annoying and/or unbalanced but are known problems and can be played through until a patch comes along. This particular aspect all but ruins the game for me personally. It jumps out at me as a HUGE imbalance, and I'm sure even in Tourneys its possible for a single kick ass grapple-whore (and they're out there) to completely change the game in favor of his team.

|XF|Silverspiri said:
It's easier for someone to do "loops and shazbot" than to kill someone else who's doing it just as well as they could. If gameplay were balanced, nothing would be more or less challenging for a specific player, and the more skilled player/team would always win.

Blaster, CG, Sniper Rifle... all of those work well. You can also cut the line by flying through it. And because they have the grappler doesn't mean they have unlimited energy. A half decent effort by 2 people should give you a chance at getting the flag back.

If they're just flying around in a large loop cut the line and they'll pancake on the ground. You should force them to run so they run out of energy rather than sit back and let the grappling perpetuate.

All I see it as is some Tribes Veterans and new players not being used to this sort of tactic. Thats exactly what good teams practice doing and overcoming, and really it's not such a huge issue once you know what your doing. Complaining about a new and powerful tactic holds no more water than complaining about heavy offense raping.

I've seen 3 and 4 chainguns blazing at one guy doing loops, and we couldn't bring him down. That's a team effort at getting the flag back, and we didn't have any trouble chasing non-grapplers.

As for the blaster and sniper rifle, the blaster does all of no damage even if it doesn't spread around targets your aiming directly at, and the sniper rifle isn't exactly easy to use against the high-speed targets in this game.

I'd like to see the grappler break when the player is shot, even if it's only with a CG or blaster.

DreamcastJunkie said:
I've seen 3 and 4 chainguns blazing at one guy doing loops, and we couldn't bring him down. That's a team effort at getting the flag back, and we didn't have any trouble chasing non-grapplers.

As for the blaster and sniper rifle, the blaster does all of no damage even if it doesn't spread around targets your aiming directly at, and the sniper rifle isn't exactly easy to use against the high-speed targets in this game.

I'd like to see the grappler break when the player is shot, even if it's only with a CG or blaster.

I've seen LD snipe people with the grappler before. If you know what your doing the blaster and speedpack and bring a cappers health down to 10. Like I said if you break thier line they move in completely unintentional ways, then you exploit that mistake and take them down.

Furthermore it doesn't unbalance the game if the other team can do it. All it takes is practice and any decent team in this game is going to have to work on diffusing grapple standoffs.

Arcanox said:
Blaster, CG, Sniper Rifle... all of those work well. You can also cut the line by flying through it. And because they have the grappler doesn't mean they have unlimited energy. A half decent effort by 2 people should give you a chance at getting the flag back.

If they're just flying around in a large loop cut the line and they'll pancake on the ground. You should force them to run so they run out of energy rather than sit back and let the grappling perpetuate.

All I see it as is some Tribes Veterans and new players not being used to this sort of tactic. Thats exactly what good teams practice doing and overcoming, and really it's not such a huge issue once you know what your doing. Complaining about a new and powerful tactic holds no more water than complaining about heavy offense raping.

If you are honestly promoting the use of a blaster to stop a Grappler whore you are a noob. Waste of energy while you're trying to CHASE a player, weak damage, and huge spread...do any of these sound familiar? I'm not talking about any player that picks up a grappler, even though just a novice can be a challenge; there are players out there (and the number grows everyday) who abuse and exploit the Grappler to where its literally impossible to hit them with anything but a few random CG shots or a lucky Snipe as they fly by.

Last edited:
Arcanox said:

I don't think you ever met a really good grapple turtle. Doing loops in one place is a quick way to get killed. The problem is when people start jetting, skiing and grappling around the entire map. They might not have unlimited energy, but a good swing can earn you a lot of energy. And don't expect to be able to even get to the place of the swing before the capper detaches and flies away in a completely different direction, let alone fly through the line.

No, you guys simply are not listening. The blaster can be used but not for the person chasing. If you have 1 person stationary and a few chainwhores thats really all you need. Lead with the speedpack and the blaster, your sure to hit the capper at least 2-3 times, lower his health then get some CG chasers.

Like I said it's a team effort and the best way to take one down is a COMBINATION of tactics and teamwork. Look at it this way-

We have 2 chasers with the chaingun

and 1 guy with the sniper rifle.

The sniper stays completely stationary, and then uses the speedpack & the blaster as the capper comes midrange. The blaster is a decent weapon IF you can learn to lead at midrange. Then you have the sniper simply alternate between the rifle and the blaster the entire time.

You have 2 chasers with the chaingun and grenade launcher. These people will be pressuring the grappler to move, also they sometimes force the grappler to move in predictable ways for the sniper to take them down. Also I'd like to point out that considering an aimbot can eliminate a grappler within 2-3 seconds with the CG, it shouldn't be "omg so effing impossible" to take them out without the aid of an aimbot. You just have to be good at it.

JonnyFong, I'd kinda like to point out that I am sort of a grappler myself, I do crazy loops, grapple on the side of hills, and switch direction at the drop of a dime without losing much speed. Any DECENT CG'er can take me down, like I said all it takes is practice.

Last thing is, they don't have Godmode on or unlimited ammo. If your HO rapes the base, and you get enough pressure on them they'll have to get more ammo from somewhere. Like I said TEAMWORK & SKILL are all you need to counter this "effective" tactic.

eM|Xenon said:
k back to pitching my idea.

remove energy blade and give all armors even spawn 3 yes only 3 grapple shots. but you can scavenge them off dead bodies. This would stop grapple turtling. help spawn capping since we spawn in medium now. and give armors an extra weapon slot and still ahve enough shots to do some insane routes but makes each grapple shot count. if you miss with the grapple too bad you wasted your shot. Im a capper not ld and 3 is still plenty to pull of all of my routes on each map except maybe cavern but 3 would be fine better then monkey swinging stupidness.

give all armors 4 weapons (5 if you include the knife)

it only makes sense, so that every armor can "afford" a grapple that way you can hunt down the grappler. as for them not being able to kill, after a little practice they're not a problem.

i forced my team to practice whoring grapplers and they learned it pretty quickly.

Back