Is my laptop dead?

slacker

Veteran XX
My laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad t60) has been flagging for a while. 4 years old and the fan no longer works. To keep it from over heating, I keep it elevated for air flow and the screen closed. Its only purpose for the last few months is a torrent server, and I keep it physically connected to my router for that purpose and just VNC in to it.

Weekly, it just restarts itself. I figured that it is just old and sometimes overheats to the point that it needs to reboot. Whatever. However, this time it didn't turn itself back on. When I tried manually, I got 2 post beeps from the BIOS. I figured it was gone.

Today, it actually starts to turn on, but the screen flickers and shows this after flickering:

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

I know when my system is overheating regularly my first thought is to turn it into a 24/7 torrent server.

why didn't you throw a laptop cooler under it and/or replace the fan?

for the fan, i was too lazy. for the cooler, there is a laptop-raising platform under it. The thing was so old that I was just abusing it until it died. I'm just confirming here that it is, in fact, dead, and not just bluffing.

Back