is AT&T uverse

clu

Contributor
Veteran XX
a half-assed equivalent to Verizon FIOS? Verizon never had a chance to lay any cable in dallas, but they have a presence in a lot of newer suburbs where I do not live. the AT&T website estimated to me a pretty nice connection transfer speed but not FIOS speeds IIRC. then again, I've never used FIOS.

if someone with AT&T uverse can chime in that would be cool. here is an example of time warner spectrum dallas download speed, but I have a fast router.

9.10_bandw.jpg

At my last house all we could get was att. When it worked it was fine for my needs but I think they must have been way overselling their shit b/c there were always specific times of day where our internet would go out for hours. We had them come out like 20 different times and they could never fix it.

fuck now that I look at it, do FIOS people get gigabit Ethernet cards? I don't want to rtfm. both FIOS and DSL are both telco fiber optic if I understand correctly. jjtwy you must have lived in an established area and they weren't able to tell or didn't want to fix and tear up a whole lot of shit

uverse is bonded pair DSL. Its fiber to ur hub usually.

Only in some places is it actual fiber to the house.

I get good bandwidth - what Mbps do FIOS users get. i'm thinking about cutting cable but hell I get good bandwidth. heck i'd pay $350/month to take out commercials and add 15 minute filler segments between programs.

All the mbps are belong to FIOS. U get that filler fiber gig node goodness up in the net tubes and it be matrix time like an irma storm surge yo

uverse is bonded pair DSL. Its fiber to ur hub usually.

Only in some places is it actual fiber to the house.

yeah, att dropped fiber right behind me but the last "mile" is still copper. getting 25mpbs/1mbps now. that upload speed is amazing but it beats time warner fucking cable with its 40% packet loss and 800ms latency because they overbooked the hub to hell and back.

AT&T offers a tier of service in dallas that seems just like FIOS (AT&T Fiber 1000 - Speeds vary. Download max typically 940 Mbps). they're quoting me a probably $160ish/month rate for that data rate plus TV.

The TV package has a weird exclusion maybe their website is jacked and I need to restart the order. The internet 1000 is only available in a TV package bunded as Family. I'm not able to add the HD Premium tier to the order. I could buy their data only plan but my bandwidth on timewarner is unlimited and I rarely see connection issues.

i'll bet after this low-ball dollar amount monthly rate for two years i'm obligated to remain a customer at some newer rate. I guess I can call them to find out but fuck satellite TV.

edit- I will check timewarner for the specs of my line maybe I should get a gbit NIC I think I already have the router

Last edited:
6613211369.png

Problems with ATT:
- They really want to sell you DirectTV, even though they already have IP TV service which is better.
- I've experienced a lot of loss-of-service. Usually just for 5 minutes, but it seems to happen once per day.

Positives:
- Yes, it's fast. Steam downloads can be really quick.
- I don't notice any lag problems on their network.

Last edited:
thanks for the link that's nuts. I learned my router sucks and SPI caps me at 200Mbps. i'm going to string some cat6 and call it a day - my cable service is rated at 200Mbps anyways. time warner wants $300 total with movies etc for 300Mbps they can get fucked. how long have I been paying for 200Mbps without getting the full yield of it? the more you knew. loss of service is unacceptable I work from home mostly. maybe next year I get a new router and then cut the cable. I need to confirm what rate i'm obligated to pay after contract to take this low-ball offer.

I watch TV on my PC though and 60gb-80gb month isn't out of reach. I don't torrent rarely ever. if they raise the price after contract, or if extra TV packages make the cost close to cable it doesn't seem worth it to switch (until I can afford a better router).

Last edited:
if u move 2 hawaii u can get hawaiian telcom gig for $100 a month including tv

6613494511.png

mines free tho cause my building pays for it

what shit? streaming 4k netflix for 20 ppl doesn't hit 800 not even close. What legal shit are you and your people doing?

I have theconverted app on my iPhone I will encyclopedia brown this shit. I still think a cat6 will help me.

my app says ~800Mbps would show 100MB in my GTA screenshot above, compared to the 11MB that I hit. if I run cat6 and get 200Mbps then I should see 25MB in steam or whatnot

edit: fuck I feel like changing my mac and ip

Last edited:
Back