Interweb problem (hotel wifi)

RC

Veteran XX
This hotels wifi has been solid for the last few days.. now, starting last night my connection is always solid (full bars) but my ability to load webpages is on and off. I'lll be able to load pages just fine for 2 minutes, then it goes down and won't respond to refreshes etc.

Weird thing is, during all of this, skype is just fine. It'll make calls just fine while a webpage cant load.

I'm told this is a DNS related error.. but what can I do on my end?

Have you tried using Google's DNS servers?

EDIT: I highly doubt it's a DNS issue, might try running a trace route on a suspect site.

My laptop does this same thing at school. When the WiFi is in high use it makes it hard to get to sites or steam anything GTalk and stuff will work just fine. I don't know the technical reasons, but I don't think you can prevent it.

if it IS a DNS error, you can use google's free DNS servers. Go into your network settings and reconfigure from automatic DNS to static, and use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as primary and secondary.

You can test it though.. If you're getting pages from the same host (eg TribalWar.Com: Gaming News) and they suddenly stop working, it's not likely a DNS issue, since the DNS record will be cached on your computer anyway. To make sure, open up a command prompt and try to ping some server you haven't been to, see if it can find the IP address (it doesn't have to actually be able to ping, you're just looking for the DNS resolution. technically you could/should just use nslookup, but pinging kills two birds quick if it works)

Quite possibly it's a proxy issue. Hotels will usually have a transparent proxy somewhere in place to make sure they can secure the service and/or bill you for it. If it's a lousy setup (and most of them are), they may well be having problems with it and it's flaking out. Possibly you could use a VPN or manually configure a proxy somewhere on a non-standard port, etc.. depends on the specific setup they've got there.

Yeah, not sure what the setup is.. all I know is I was given a login and password that will work for the duration of my stay. It's 4/4mbps.

network is probably just being slammed atm!

Back