[Instrumental guitar] Guthrie Govan

Quickly becoming my favorite guitarist. He's been around for a while, but pretty unknown.

1 minute 05 in is pretty cool.

Thought some of you would like this.

Good. Now who can tell me why the song is named Sevens?
Better video here. He's a savant at that level.

Last edited:
I was more impressed with same of the bass solos around 2:40 than any of his playing, tbh

when he did anything technical it was either arpeggiated or easy fretting... I didn't see anything truly impressive tbh. and it's almost all legato. I didn't find a good blend of alternative picking and hammer-ons/pull-offs. and the basic progression, despite it being in 7/4, was still simple and not necessarily hard to solo to. I'll give credit where credit is due, though; he picks much faster than I can and moves his fingers faster, too. He sweep picks very well, when he does it.

nothing really wowed me.

I like john petrucci. mostly because I really enjoy the way he picks, and what he plays tends to fall nicely on my ears. I'm also a dream theater nut.

in terms of musicality I like eric johnson a lot. again, something about his phrasing is pleasing to me.

but neither of them really wow me, I guess you could say. I really like their styles and it impresses me how they play, but I'm not really crazy about them or anyone else.

I like john petrucci. mostly because I really enjoy the way he picks, and what he plays tends to fall nicely on my ears. I'm also a dream theater nut.

in terms of musicality I like eric johnson a lot. again, something about his phrasing is pleasing to me.

but neither of them really wow me, I guess you could say. I really like their styles and it impresses me how they play, but I'm not really crazy about them or anyone else.

John Petrucci is my favorite guitarist. Same deal on DT nut. Shattered fortress solo is epic. Though, I find his solo album very lack luster. This isn't the case for Govan, imo.

are you some kind of weird self-hating guitarist

"i'm not crazy about anyone" is a copout

or it's me honestly saying that I'm very impressed with their ability but guitar playing isn't something that will ever really make me rave...

the G3 tours are awesome. I think JP has been on it 6 times now?

also: I love the solo for The Spirit Carries On. really great if you ask me, it was the first DT song I ever learned

i would have liked DT a lot better if they had strangled the singer during their first practice

liquid tension experiment is the most listenable thing they have imo

Yeah Guthrie Govan rules. He seems like a really nice guy and good instructor too. There are a lot of instructional videos of his on Youtube.

Back