I'm done with this dumbass.

-K-Crypt

Veteran XX
I have a customer that emails or calls me with random problems each week. Her laptop is about 7 years old, 128mb ram, win xp, 3 usb ports, etc..

Well I posted the problem awhile back of her not being able to use the email this function on the folder sidebars to send pictures, it went to some config screen for some program she didn't even have. I had to reformat to fix that issue.

So now she emails me a few weeks later with these.

1. When I try to open My pictures or My Documents from the desktop or the start menu, it open in the "Search Results" in the "Look In" section. Why? What setting should I look at to change this back to open directly to those files?
2. Now all of a sudden my MP3 player is not recognized at all on My Computer or even in Search while it is plugged into the USB port. It won't charge either. Can't get to the menu either. What caused this? At one time I got a signal of a registry error. was this my problem earlier?

The first issue I honestly don't have a clue how this just randomly would happen. the second problem happened several months ago, again, reformatting was the only thing that solved the issue. This is a weekly issue or random problems. Her hardware has never failed any tests and the reformatts are standard install, full updates, load her printer, usb mouse, microsoft office, done.

I'm done helping her, she refuses to pay most of the time stating I somehow caused this or should have foreseen the issue. Write the email for me.

Tell her you can't diagnose the problem from the information she has given. Ask for more info.

When she replies, email her back after a few days saying you've contracted a rare prion disease (like CJD/Mad Cow, but different) and are unable to work with computers any more.

OR... Diagnose the problem when you get the extra info.

AND... Supply her with a copy of your standard warranty agreement which should indicate how you are only required to fix the computer for the first year or three years or whatever it is in your state/country/planet. Then advise her that your standard rate for tech support is $175/hr and you will have to start charging her if she wants to continue the relationship.

You should explain to her that you need to send the laptop into service, place 3-5 pubes on the keyboard, close it, then return it to her.

This is why I don't fucking help people out of my house.

This fucking shit right here.

Fuck this cunt.

I sent her an email saying basically that these issues are either a result of something she is doing or some sort of hardware problem and even if I were to fix them they will return just as they have been. She then called and told me I need to fix it again because it didn't do these things before I worked on it. This was not only 2 months ago, but it was fine and these problems came about after I was gone. She doesn't seem to understand that it's her causing the problem or the laptop itself.

Fuck People.

install ubuntu. :D

Though this seems like a rough situation to deal with, and I have been there before.

It might be easier to just take her machine, redo everything while you are working on other stuff. Set her account as a standard user, and create a separate admin account.

Let her work with the machine. Tell her that as soon as she requires admin access, or after 30 days you will have to charge your hourly rate for the reported issues.

Also, everyone has their price. Take time to think what this client is actually worth to you, and what amount would make you tolerate them.

Last edited:
Yea I have already reformatted it 3 times due to issues such as these that randomly show up weeks later. Even though I have been paid for 2 of them the speed of the laptop alone makes it almost not worth it. Not to mention she demands it back usually either later that day or early the next morning. I called her today and told her to take it somewhere else. I'm quitting my business in 2 weeks anyway when I move so she might as well find someone else.

Back