If you had 2,000 what computer would you build?

One for like 800$ and I'd pocket the 1200.

or maybe I use the extra money to buy multiple monitors and do an eye finity setup, or maybe 3dVision, or some HTPC/streaming junk.

but basic hardware? not a dime over 800. probably a bit less.

or maybe I use the extra money to buy multiple monitors and do an eye finity setup, or maybe 3dVision, or some HTPC/streaming junk.

but basic hardware? not a dime over 800. probably a bit less.
Given the time of year and the fact that HDDs are like a bajillion times more expensive than what they were a year ago, I'd say that $800 is a safe goal, but shouldn't be a ceiling.

I built my computer about 16 months ago for $750 without a GPU (I used IGP since I'm not much of a gamer). I got both an SSD and a HDD. I put a $250 GPU in it a couple months ago to play Skyrim. I've been very happy with all of my purchases. Not even a tiny drop of buyer's remorse.

I could see going over an $800 budget with relative ease if I were building a computer now.

build a virtualization server with dual 8 core opterons (and pocket the last $500 that would have been spent on intel hardware lmao)

This exact same build, but with the SSD I just picked up for $129, and a 2tb storage drive.
The parts are considerable cheaper now, so add a cheap case, and video to complete the set.

Just pulled the trigger on these parts. My last major build was spring of 2004, so it was about time...

1 x ($154.99) MB MSI|P67A-GD55 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R
$154.99

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R
$224.99

1 x ($99.99) MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
$99.99

1 x ($34.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT
$34.99

1 x ($-25.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE
$-25.00

I should be able to push 4.5 ghz with this combination. I already have an antec case, 750w ps, 240 gt ddr5 geforce card and slow ass sata hard drive. I plan on upgrading the card and hd sometime this year.
Total including shipping was 5 cents over my $500 budget. :stab:
Then I would pick up a big lcd monitor, a backlit xarmor mechanical keyboard, a Logitech G9, and pocket the 1200 left over.

If I didn't already have this setup...

Last edited:
I'll be doing a new build soon and will probably be looking to spend around 1500-1800. Waiting for ivybridge and kepler to be released. I'll be grabbing an i7 3770k and gtx680 which will be around $1000 total. Then a decent SSD, 8gb ram, mobo, case, and cpu fan which should be around $600-700ish more. Should last me a nice while.

agree with the monitors crowd but I would also buy some new speakers. $2k is really overkill, better to save it and upgrade earlier than you otherwise would have, or spend it on accessories.

Fast computer is nice if you shoot videos and do editing with Sony Vegas. That's the other thing you can do with the 1k left over if you build it yourself, buy a nice Sony video camera or a GoPro HD if you ride a bike.

Back