I need someone to make me a simple (mostly 2D) part in CAD. [$$]

Pen

Veteran XV
Here is the deal. I want to make a custom aluminum face panel for my PC case.

I know someone who can make it on their CNC mill:

"If you draw up all of the dimensions of the design as "dwg" or "dxf" vector file, including material thickness, screw type, size, and location, we can make the plate for you. "

My case has 10 exposed drive bays and I want a solid aluminum panel that is basically 10 bays high with (3) holes to mount 120mm intake fans (each one takes about 3 bays) and a top opening for a 3.5" bay.

It's not complex, I just don't have the software to do it.

I will happily compensate you for your time. PM me if you think you can do this.

To get an idea of what I am talking about, take a look at this project by Bill Owen:

The Mod Brothers • View topic - "600 BULLET" Antec Case Mod, Final pics

Half way down you will see a custom front panel with 3 fan intakes. I want something like that, only less complex.

/begin Nerdvirgin comments

No, I am paying them to implement my design into a vector drawing and paying someone else to manifest my design in aluminum.

Also, I paid a company for their CPU, GPU and motherboard designs so... maybe you have a point. My own components are still a few years away from manufacture.

Simplest way would probably be to draw out exactly what you want and have someone trace/redraw it for you in CAD.

Simplest way would probably be to draw out exactly what you want and have someone trace/redraw it for you in CAD.

I can rough it out and provide precise dimensions, but I have not done any drafting since 9th grade so I need someone who can do that - maybe that is too hard or too time consuming, I don't know.

There has to be a few people on here who are really good at Autocad.

If you rough it in some one who knows what they are doing and has the time could probably translate it for you in an hour or less.

CAD time freelance goes for around $80 an hour for draft work. $160 for Design work. This is draft work if you provide a rough draft.

I don't have the time unfortunately.

Given you can do next to nothing yourself, the cost of doing this is going to be insane for what you get.

You definitely need to cough up something more substantial than a single photo and "I want something like that".

Sketch out your design. Dimension it. Nobody wants to go back and forth with you on multiple revisions. :p:

google sketch up, if you have the dimensions and stuff you should be able to do it in there and export as dwg or dxf, your choice

If you rough it in some one who knows what they are doing and has the time could probably translate it for you in an hour or less.

CAD time freelance goes for around $80 an hour for draft work. $160 for Design work. This is draft work if you provide a rough draft.

I don't have the time unfortunately.

That does not sound too bad.

Given you can do next to nothing yourself, the cost of doing this is going to be insane for what you get.

Unreasonable - yes, insane? Nah.

You definitely need to cough up something more substantial than a single photo and "I want something like that".

Sketch out your design. Dimension it. Nobody wants to go back and forth with you on multiple revisions. :p:

You are right, but I don't expect anyone to go back and forth, I want to find someone who can do it, and then find out what they need from me, and then I can provide some kind of sketch with dimensions.

It's a rectangle with a rectangle opening and 3 circular openings - it should not be that hard. I have some good templates for fan dimensions.

google sketch up, if you have the dimensions and stuff you should be able to do it in there and export as dwg or dxf, your choice

I just installed Sketch it - I can probably figure it out, but it looks like the formats I need only come with the $100 version. Not sure what the learning curve would be for me to be able to make what I want.

Last edited:
baseline_dimensioning.jpg

Dimension like this. Pick one corner as 0,0 and dimension horizontally and vertically to the center of each hole. You should also have a diameter for every hole and a overall size for the plate.

If you can make a good sketch and we're just talking about a flat plate with holes, I'll draw it up for you.

baseline_dimensioning.jpg

Dimension like this. Pick one corner as 0,0 and dimension horizontally and vertically to the center of each hole. You should also have a diameter for every hole and a overall size for the plate.

If you can make a good sketch and we're just talking about a flat plate with holes, I'll draw it up for you.

Thanks for the kind offer, I do believe I can do that.

Back