I knew kids these days were fat, but damn....

hardluck

Veteran X
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=40830

American Children Getting Too Fat For Car Safety Seats

Over 250,000 American children under the age of 6 are too heavy for car-safety seats designed for their age-group. Makers of car-safety seats are having to make sturdier models to ensure levels of safety for these seriously obese and overweight children are maintained.

As the American obesity epidemic gains pace and spreads through all age groups, the number of children under 6 who are obese is growing at an alarming rate.

Standard safety-seats are designed for children who weigh less than 40 pounds. Most of the children who were found to be over the limit were three years old. For a three-year-old to weigh over that amount he/she is either incredibly tall or seriously overweight.

Researchers at a Safety Center, John Hopkins Hospital, said if a child weighs more than the seat's weight limit the risks of injury during a car accident are much greater.

Lead researcher Lara Trifiletti said she and her colleagues began to notice that more and more children were very obese and their car-seat technicians were finding it hard to provide car seats to fit them.

(Although Lara Trifiletti worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital at the time of the research, she now works at The Children's Research Institute, Ohio University).

Of the children found to be too heavy for their car seats, 190,000 were 3 years old.

You can read about this study in the journal Pediatrics (April).

3-year-olds are not mature enough (or tall enough) for booster seats, which can be used for slightly older children (booster seats use the car's seat belts).

Five years ago 23% of American children between the ages of two and five were overweight, 10% were obese. The figures today are expected to be higher.

In the nineties, new diet movements blamed the introduction of high carb diets during the seventies for the growth in obesity and overweight in the USA.

Several options for weight control have been present in the USA for the last ten years. Different diets, such as Atkins, The Zone, The South Beach have been around for over a decade now. The increase in obesity over the last ten years has still been accelerating despite new diets being introduced and having had a while to prove themselves nationally.

Many write in to Medical News Today stressing that the focus in the USA has been too much on what people should eat, rather than how much exercise people do. What's the good of telling people to eat steaks and salads (low carb), or keep their total calories down, or eat less fat, or cut down on sugars, if they can't keep it up for more than a year or so.

As one lady from Kansas said:

‘Our family, me, my husband and our two 10-year-old children, all used to be overweight. We tried every diet - low carb, high carb, low fat, high fat, everything. They all worked for a bit, then the weight came back on. We then decided to go for speedwalking. We have been speedwalking for 60 minutes a day, the whole family together, for one year now. The weight has come off, and stayed off. Diets work, but not for long. Exercise is easier to sustain if you choose something that is not too strenuous. We decided on walking as that was something we could all do - rather than anything too hard. And it has worked for us. If I had a three-year-old now I would take a stroller and have the child walk part of the way - we could all slow down for him.'

Fucking obese 3 year olds? WTF...

That's a shame.

I'm beginning to believe that food is god's new form of natural selection. All the fatties eat till they die. And if you have some kind of mutated gene that forces you to eat and be fat, then I'm sorry, god really has it out for you.

i was at disney this weekend i saw more fat kids that i have ever seen.

I saw more just plain fat people that i have ever seen. There were so many people that were in the electric carts because they couldnt walk it wasnt funny. Not because they were old and couldnt walk because they were fat and couldn't walk. I dont know how many fat assed people i saw in a cart because they cant walk, eating a big triple cheesburger, or having their hand stuffed in a bag of candy or a gallon 'o soda on their leg while riding along

God it is trying to kill american by food, africans by AIDS, europeans by tooth rot and aussies by dingos?

Patton said:
That's a shame.

I'm beginning to believe that food is god's new form of natural selection. All the fatties eat till they die. And if you have some kind of mutated gene that forces you to eat and be fat, then I'm sorry, god really has it out for you.

Marge: "It's time for the church picnic."
Homer: "What? They had a picnic last week."
Marge: "No they didn't, you just brought a bucket of chicken to church."
Homer: "If god didn't want us to eat in church he would have made Gluttony a sin."

I can easily eat just as much if not more than a fat person, but see I work out 6 times a week and always have a monster appetite.

I wonder if that makes me a glutton. Maybe god doesn't want us to work out and eat alot of food to keep us going.

fartiusstinkius said:
I think we need to more vocally ostracize fat people. A culture of acceptance of the fatties cannot be allowed to develop.

all that does is lead to fat DEPRESSED people

hardluck said:
Man I would love to be able to make fnu of fatties again in school without fear of being suspended.
My brother punched a fat kid in the face and got suspended. And when I say "fat", I mean fucking "FAT". Kid was like 5'10" maybe 400 pounds. I actually heard he had a heart attack last year and died, he was like 21-22 I think. He was a worthless human being though (not because he was fat, he was just a piece of shit).

JuggerNaught said:
i was at disney this weekend i saw more fat kids that i have ever seen.

I saw more just plain fat people that i have ever seen. There were so many people that were in the electric carts because they couldnt walk it wasnt funny. Not because they were old and couldnt walk because they were fat and couldn't walk. I dont know how many fat assed people i saw in a cart because they cant walk, eating a big triple cheesburger, or having their hand stuffed in a bag of candy or a gallon 'o soda on their leg while riding along

sometimes i feel like i live in an isolated haven here in the bay area. people here are still somewhat normal since there are far more intelligent people here, as well as azns and indians.

It jsut seems like people are getting much larger. I can remember when i was in highschool i used to be on the wrestling team, and i wrestled heavyweight division. To be heavyweight you only had to weigh over 185. I remember wrestling a kid in a tri city match that weighed in at 410 when I was like 220 and thinking thats got to be the biggest mofo in the world

Back