I hate lcds

[SHiN]AkumA

Veteran XV
i decided to pick up a 22" lcd to replace my 19" crt.
HP w2207 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with BrightView Panel - 5ms, 1680x1050 (WSXGA+), 1000:1, DVI-D, USB Hub, Speakers GW458AA#ABA at TigerDirect.com

it's a well regarded monitor, but i cant play call of duty for shit on this thing. the input lag, combined with the normal lcd delay = i suck. I went from completely dominating servers, to being squarely in the middle of the pack. it seems like people get the drop on me 90% of the time. it used to be the other way around. im returning this shit, and going back to my crt until someone makes something without lag.

so frustrating because otherwise this monitor is killer.

Maybe you're just dumb. Input lag? Normal LCD delay? Any problems with LCD monitors compared to CRT have been pretty much gone since about... 3 years ago.

edit: Nevermind, next time don't buy generic, 200 dollar 22inch widescreen LCD monitors. Of course it's going to be shoddy at that price.

Last edited:
Yeah, my L90D+ doesn't.

Wikipedia:
Currently, the only TFT panels known to have this phenomenon are so-called overdrive panels. These include S-PVA, S-MVA, and Overdrive-TN panels. S-PVA have been observed to suffer from greater input lag than P-MVA panels, while IPS, S-IPS and AS-IPS panels are not or only minimally affected.
However for many LCDs they use a technology called "overdrive" which "reads" what is being sent to the display several frames ahead and processes the image to reduce blurring and streaks left by ghosting. The effect is that anything displayed on the screen is several frames behind which makes anything, even mouse movements, feel delayed as explained in the introduction of the article.

In other words, just buy a non-shitty one

That 5ms delay is fucking killer. Especially when you add on that insane fucking 30 ms ping. You might as well fire and come back a couple hours later to see if you hit anything.

I like CRTs. It's very comforting to have a monitor with a few feet of physical depth. It doesn't seem like that LCD thin pane satanic display majick.

Maybe you're just dumb. Input lag? Normal LCD delay? Any problems with LCD monitors compared to CRT have been pretty much gone since about... 3 years ago.

edit: Nevermind, next time don't buy generic, 200 dollar 22inch widescreen LCD monitors. Of course it's going to be shoddy at that price.

In what strange world do you live in that HP makes well regarded monitors?

this hp uses a samsung panel, and has height adjustment, glossy screen, usb etc. it's supposed to be one of the best lcd's out there.

the only reason that its $249 is because they replaced it with the 2207h which has hdmi instead of dvi. it cost $349 a few weeks ago

Current samsung monitors suck. 24" is pretty much the sweet spot for a monitor right now and pretty much all of them are TN panels. This isn't saying that TN is terrible or anything, because it's probably the best for gaming in terms of LCD monitors at the moment. But picture quality is pretty bad.

I got my LG 246WP though and it's fucking pimp. I actually haven't noticed any input lag on it. However, it seems that all 24" monitors right now are TN. This makes baby jesus cry.

like i said, this hp uses a samsung panel. the pq is great. its just the delay inherent to lcd's that kills me. its tolerable at native resolution, but anything else sucks. i just have to decide whether i want to win every CoD4 pub by 20 kills on a 19" crt, or struggle my ass of to come in first on this thing.

Back