I am impressed with Canon.

Narscist

Veteran X
I have an A70 powershot, that just all the sudden went out on me. Black w/purple stripes on the LCD and when i take pictures shows that way on the viewer. Called cannon, and they are replacing the CCD board for free. Sending me a shipping label to send. Apparently there was a recall but i never saw it. So thumbs up to canon doing this service to its customers. I am happy about this, for a 3.2 mega pixel camera its really damn good, and wanted to keep using it.
FYI, if any of you the following models and have had probs, call canon, they will replace for free:
"Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)"

cliffs:
broken 5 yr old camera
Canon fixing for free, and emailing me label for free shpping.

here is website stating details:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=225&modelid=13390&keycode=2112&id=29819

Last edited:
176923wCeb.jpg

Had an A630 the daughter trashed. Sent it in, they couldn't repair it, but gave us an upgrade option to an A750 for $100. Went ahead and did it. The camera came with all accessories, and works perfectly. That's an idea most people would never know about. Send in a broken camera to the factory. If they can't fix it, they'll offer you an upgrade at a reduced price.

Funny you make this thread. I have an old A70 that did the same thing. Talked to tech support, got the free shipping label, sent the camera.

Got an Email response asking for $92 to fix the camera, even though it's supposed to be free, etc.

Haven't called them yet.

this bugs me.. everything that i have read, there were no probs.. was it just the CCD on your camera, or did they state other reason for problems?

CanonRepair said:
Examination / Request Details:

Summary of Charges:

CHECK ALL FUNCTIONS,REPAIR TO GOOD WORKING ORDER.

Flat Rate Repair Charge
(Parts & Labor Included)

$ 79.00

Service / Work Type:

Charge , Repair

Sales Tax

$ 5.53

Equipment Received:

POWER SHOT A70

Serial #:

Shipping

$ 8.00

P.O.#:

&nbsp

Accessories Received:

Total Due

$ 92.53

STRAP/NO BATTERY/NO MEM CARD/NO BOX

The repair charge indicated represents a standardized cost, enabling Canon to provide repair estimates free of charge.

The tech on the phone narrowed the problem down to the CCD. Which was the exact problem you mention above: Vertical/Horizontal lines, distorted pictures.

And, as you can see above, there's absolutely no mention of cause, or anything. It's basically a standardized repair estimate. The camera isn't even worth that much brand new at this point. You can get a used on ebay for less than 50 bucks.

Back