[HTPC] What longer distance Mouse/Key?

sven137

Veteran XX
For those of you operating with a HTPC on your couch. What longer dist mouse/keyboard combo do you use. I was using a Targus 2.4ghz combo that worked ok, but the mouse recently broke. I am now using USB cord extenders for the time being (bluh). What should I be using? What have you had luck with? I want something with up to 30ft range as I am 15 or so feet away.

what about those Logitech DiNovo ones?

I have one, and it's useful on the occasions I use it. One downside is the lack of a backlight for the keys.

My recommendation for an HTPC is to get a decent universal remote that controls your other devices, and then invest in a cheap USB IR receiver for the HTPC.

There are a few programs (Intelliremote, Girder) that can easily be programmed to do whatever you want. I use Intelliremote with great success. You can use it in conjunction with WMC, Boxee, XBMC, MediaPortal, etc.

If you have an iPhone/iPod there's apps tha act like a mouse and keyboard. I use mobile mouse. Very easy to use, has media player controls and works through wifi so range isn't an issue.

Just bought two logitechs for this very purpose - k350 keyboard, and an m570 trackball. I already have one of the dinovo mini keyboards, its in use in a different room.

Gyro mouse. Works like a mouse and an 'air mouse'(like a wii controller on the pc). It uses RF instead of bluetooth which works up to about 100ft and doesnt need line of site.

Imo, don't get anything that requires a hard/steady surface... it just doesnt work in a couch environment.

Last edited:
I use the logitech dinovo mini keyboard for my living room htpc. My bedroom htpc has some big keyboard with a joystick on it for a mouse. The biggest difference between the two is that the living room keyboard is bluetooth and my bedroom one is 2.4ghz.

with this in mind, my primary advice: if you get a keyboard, it MUST be bluetooth. RF receiver keyboards more often than not can't get a signal beyond like 5 freakin feet.

My dinovo mini is great. It's about the size of a remote control and serves my needs. I just wish I knew where the escape key was on it...

I use the Lenovo Keyboard/Trackball remote, love it....only downside is no backlight. Also none on my Boxee Box which has a fantastic remote, but who the fuck thought no backlight and dark grey on black keys was a smart idea?

Impossible to see in a dimly lit room

boxee-remote.jpg

Back