How does TW handle proselytization?

scy7he

Veteran X
I work at a bank as a teller. There's a guy who comes to my branch every few weeks and at the end of every transaction he asks the teller who's helping him who their favorite celebrity is. In any case he always ends up leaving the teller with one of these. From the same people who brought us the new Kurt Cameron of Way of the Master Fame.

I consider myself the levelheaded and tolerant type - but I don't take kindly to having strangers tell me that if I don't believe what they believe their imaginary friend is going to torture me for eternity. I haven't assisted this customer in a while, but I'm certain I'd be pissed that the next time I do wont be able to tell him to shove his tract up his ass.

On a related note, I'd like to ask these fire-and-brimstone types how they get to sleep at night. They must have had friends who didn't accept god in the way they deemed acceptable. It would seriously fuck me up if I believed a friend of mine was being subjected to unending torture every moment until eternity. So I wonder how they handle it.

Proselytizing is the act of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another religion. The word proselytize is derived ultimately from the Greek language prefix 'πρός' (towards) and the verb 'έρχομαι' (I come).

just throw it away. you don't sound like the levelheaded and tolerant type whatsoever. and quit being so passive aggressive about it you pussy.

just throw them away. why get worked up about it? you will never change his opinion and he will never change yours.

lol, if he didn't try and proselytize hed be a hypocrite wouldn't he?

why dont you just mentally thank his attempt at 'having your back' in whichever way makes sense to him and move the fuck on?

why do internet atheists care so much, I really don't understand. It's like their intellectual curiosity stops at the most convenient point (religion is dumb hurrr) and doesnt try and take the full view (why people need to believe in something and what that means to the human condition, who gives a fuck) [this isnt necessarily about you, just tw religious threads in general]

all these religion threads on tw have got to stop.

I've only helped this guy once, before I knew what his sthick was. Yes I did throw it away. Anyway it's not about putting up with him - believe me we get our share of birthers at my work. But at least those political nut jobs aren't hading me pamphlets every time they come in.

I love the celebrities on the bills... Paris Hilton (sex tape). Elton John (gay). Tiger Woods (adulterer). Marilyn Monroe (adulterer). Elvis Presley (drug addict). John Travolta (scientologist). The list goes on. Great people to have represent the way of Christianity.

snip

all these religion threads on tw have got to stop.

We get dozens of customers who love to say "I'm blessed." (As in "How are you doing?") Or say "Have a blessed day." or "Happy Easter." I don't get my panties in a twist over this because, whatever, they're just passing on good will.

If the customer I'm talking about would say "Accept Christ as your lord and savior and you will avoid eternal punishment." it would be more tolerable. Instead he acts like he's the cool guy who gives bank employees fake million dollar bills. What sticks in my teeth is that I know what this guy's game is, and I don't want to play it, but I still have to act nice to the guy.

Yeah throwing it in the trash in front of him is a good idea.

I don't get worked up over it. Think about it this way, they think you are about to be run over by a truck and they want to push you out of the way with their little card and some kind words. I thank them for their concern and continue my business. Anything after that is a goatsegram.

I work at a bank as a teller. There's a guy who comes to my branch every few weeks and at the end of every transaction he asks the teller who's helping him who their favorite celebrity is. In any case he always ends up leaving the teller with one of these. From the same people who brought us the new Kurt Cameron of Way of the Master Fame.

I consider myself the levelheaded and tolerant type - but I don't take kindly to having strangers tell me that if I don't believe what they believe their imaginary friend is going to torture me for eternity. I haven't assisted this customer in a while, but I'm certain I'd be pissed that the next time I do wont be able to tell him to shove his tract up his ass.

On a related note, I'd like to ask these fire-and-brimstone types how they get to sleep at night. They must have had friends who didn't accept god in the way they deemed acceptable. It would seriously fuck me up if I believed a friend of mine was being subjected to unending torture every moment until eternity. So I wonder how they handle it.

They do it because they love people. They don't want to see you burn. If they didn't care they wouldn't say anything.

As a sane person in a country which overwhelmingly believes in imaginary super-beings I find it's best to hide my contempt.

it really bugs me when people do something illegal or against their work policy to make their point. i saw a guy double park in front of a theatre during rush hour to pass out pamphlets to people in line for the phantom menace, and the traffic backed up, honking, etc etc. took balls, i must say.

but i don't mind when folks show up to the door for a chat. of course, i don't talk to them anymore after having kids, because i seriously have no time for that shit. i need to stand watch over the television to ensure my son is not throwing a shovel into it.

Back