home networking ppl

RC

Veteran XX
I have the linksys Linksys WRT 310N, which is a wireless N router.

Currently, my wifi signal to my ps3 is 77%. When I do a connection test I get 1Mpbs. As soon as I go wired from the router, I get 10Mbps.

I'm about 30ft from the router.

I'd rather not run a wire from where the router is, to my ps3.

I'm trying to find a router that can give me a signal comparable to going wired. (~100% and at least 5mpbs?)

Also, when I try to stream videos from my server to my ps3, it freezes whenever the stream goes over 2MB/s. Would a stronger signal help this or do I need to use ethernet?

Does anyone think this, Linksys E4200 would do the trick? Or would I have the same problem?

THX!

:)

I believe that.. but is it even possible to stream hd movies (1-5MB/s) from my ps3 via Wifi? I keep hearing about this but I dont see it happening!

I can stream 720p from my laptop to my PS3 no problem. I got a shitty wireless router/modem from my ISP.

Runs over your home electrical wiring. Plug one in the wallpower socket at the router and plug in a network cable and one at ps3 end.

I can stream 720p from my laptop to my PS3 no problem. I got a shitty wireless router/modem from my ISP.

wtfs.

check the data rate.

seems crazy. As soon as I hit above 1+mpbs whenever I'm wireless it starts and stops.

I can check when I get home, if I remember :weird:. My PS3 is about 0.5m from the router/modem and my laptop is like a wall and 6-8m away.

Edit: What kind of serving program do you use on your pc?

:)
is it even possible to stream hd movies (1-5MB/s) from my ps3 via Wifi?

Ok.. now.. this may sound anal, but it's with good reason, and stops confusion: but stop thinking in bytes.

digital video & audio etc is encoded at a particular bitrate.

bitrate

network speeds are measured in bits per second. (Fun fact that demonstrates just how closely they're related: cable modems actually transmit your data via an mpeg stream)

When you look at those two things together, and remember that there's a few percent of overhead there in actually transmitting things down the link, it shouldn't be too hard to work out whether your network can keep up with your media.

f5X7XMHDKgtvxVGOdL3QeS9FiT7KHTsBOfi0aA-UhFa-qEmt448ZGkiwbsner4pa47b1hDT01xe_h2kr71jpw-7SzEYZLuaSJXdJwWG1MpVVN9fMBG14YUPst2DQLbWt6_5xv09fIlR80yIn-eN6TC1vHfxeixTw4_rpeAQxp561q4bypbIe37ixzt1076fK3oeDiIndSDg-KcqSm6bQyl-PUbzL6QAaI84n4UYXfFKkE2zrlXtUKkIVPKT5q1nunwOiqBNJLqE1tn7C6p-OWJJl-IMG8PPF2tWpzz0vf8FKl0k

My PS3 was 10' or less to my wireless router (in the adjacent room) and I couldn't stream stuff properly. Used a wired connection, worked fine. I just assumed the wireless card on the PS3 was crappy. Everything else in the house can stream just fine (laptops, roku, ipad, Wii, etc). I've heard lots of people complain about WiFi performance on the PS3. This was long ago, hoped maybe firmware would have helped by now, guess not. :)

If the wireless card in the PS3 is shit get another N router, put it right behind the ps3 and bridge them so the PS3 is using hardwire with out actually running a hardwire.

EDIT: that wasn't very clear. cable modem hardwired to existing N ->wireless bridge to new N router-> hardwire to PS3

Back