[HL2mod] Badge of Blood

So.. basically these guys are just going to try to create a Source game and then sell it to Valve. Valve is not idiots, so they will probably give them something dirt cheap for it and then turn around and sell it for $20 on Steam. That is, if it is actually really good.

HL2mod in this case = Free use of the Source engine to create the video game we want to sell

Breadman86 said:
Sell?? SELL?

GD I'm sick of valve pulling this shit. We'll never have a free mod again come a year from now.

It's not Valve pulling anything. Valve has absolutely nothing to do with this, except that they created HL2 and these guys are making a mod of it.

I gess. If you read the article they are thinking about possibly changing engines. They say they are going to make it free until they feel its good enough to sell.

XeroShift.05 said:
I gess. If you read the article they are thinking about possibly changing engines. They say they are going to make it free until they feel its good enough to sell.
K I skimmed the article until I found it..

Recent developments have cast an uncertain light on the mod's future. "We’ve been meeting with the CEO of a major game company here in North Carolina and discussing the prospect of a partnership in developing and publishing Badge of Blood as a retail release, which is fantastic. However, there has been some pressure there to leave the Source engine and move to Unreal". If this happens, there will hopefully still be a steam release.

But there's more. "At the same time", Beck tells us, "we’ve also been approached by two rather big-time venture capitalists who are interested in funding our project. Now, we could just do that, and develop on whatever engine we damned well feel like. But having the previously mentioned game company as a partner would be a huge windfall from us as a resource. So we’ve spent the past few months trying to work out business plans for different scenarios, getting legal advice, and so on". Right now, the team is working on a non-public demo to use as a proof-of-concept, and hoping they will be able to distribute Blood over steam.

So as I said, they are basically trying to make a game for free and then turn around and sell it. By making it an HL2 mod, it's free for them to use the Source engine. If they go with the other video game company, they'll have to license Source and hence why that other company said they'd rather use Unreal.

If they make it an HL2 mod and want to sell it, Valve has them by the balls when it comes time to sell it to Valve. "Oh, so you want to sell us a game that can't be sold without first paying us for the engine, content, etc.?"

Yeah. I wonder if TSE would be any good for this mod. I think weather its source or another engine they still plan to sell it via steam. kinda like how RO is being sold through steam.

An interesting part of the article is the part talking about the gametypes.

"We will have smaller scale tactical engagements between units of troops, obviously. But we also endeavour to include larger scale battles that will make use of vehicles, VTOLs, artillery, and other military equipment. The nature of a map will depend entirely on the campaign". The team are aiming for mappers to decide the objectives, gametype, and scale of a map. "One map could be a DoD style attrition -fest, with two sides competing for their respective objective points", Beck enthuses. "Another map could be one side, with limited troops, having to hold a point for x amount of time while the other side, with unlimited reinforcements, must take it. Generally, the intent is to present map makers with a set of tools that will allow them to make their own objectives for a given map, to prevent gameplay from become stale and boring".

Many such objectives will be combined in one game: assault the outpost, take down the support guns, defend for as long as possible while the enemy counterattacks, escape to the extraction point. There'll be fraught infantry encounters and massive open-ground battlefields with multiple vehicles and objective points in maps up to 8 square kilometres. The plan is that many, many scenarios will be incorporated into longer 'campaigns' that will span several hours on one server, where the outcome of one battle will affect the next.

What's the deal with TSE licensing? I remember the tech demo saying 'independent developers license for $300' or some such, but then it said contact them for commercial or some other such. If they are an independent developer, but they want to sell it, wouldn't they have to buy the commercial license which is probably a lot more money? I'm sure it's still nowhere near Unreal or Source engine pricing though.

screw half life 2 mods. i can't join 99% of multiplayer servers due to some stupid bullshit, probably something to do with the way internet is shared at my apt complex.

its stupid bullshit because I have no problem with any other multiplayer games. steam pisses me off.

Back