[Help]Video to Computer

SpidershocK

Veteran X
I have a sony DV recorder and I have stuff recorded that I would like to put onto my computer and then burn it to a VCD.

Which is the best way to get the movies off the DVR? Anyone have any experience with this?

Okay just looked through manual and I found only how to capture video from an analog device through the DVR into my machine, but not directly from my DVR to Computer.

Im trying to do it through Windows Movie Maker and Premier, but it aint going :-\.

I've used google and its not helping either :(.

Not clear on what devices you have, you mention dvr, you mention camera so I'll cover the bases :

1.) If you have composite analog inputs on your pc, i.e. an all in wonder card, you can go out from the dvr into those and capture that way.

2.) If no analog inputs, but you have a dv video camera, you might be able to use it as an analog->digital converter by running dvr->composite in on camera->camera firewire out->pc firewire in->capture.

3.) If dv cam doesn't function as an analog->digital converter, you can record from dvr onto dv tape, then capture from tape to pc via firewire.

4.) This one will require you to spend money(~$200). Buy a analog->digital converter. This will allow you to take a composite source and output to firewire which can then be fed into your pc for capture.

Okay I have a Sony DCR-TRV320. It is Firewire Capable (i.link).

What I have is Tape that I want to capture into my machine VIA the Firewire output so I can make a DVD of the recorded stuff.

The farthest I've gotten so far is playing the taped video through XP just by double clicking the DV device when it pops up in My Computer and Hitting play. That sometimes only works so far its only worked once :-\.

Why I can not get Windows Movie Maker or Premier to capture is confusing, frustrating, and pissing me off. I know it can see the video just can't get it to see it again. I know tons of people who have done this and non ever had this much trouble...

Psyclone said:
4.) This one will require you to spend money(~$200). Buy a analog->digital converter. This will allow you to take a composite source and output to firewire which can then be fed into your pc for capture.

This is if you get it from Best Buy. There has been discussion on the board about some more modest priced ones around $65, but I haven't heard whether they are decent or not (been watching, I need one myself).

ieee1394 (aka firewire) should do the trick nicely. just make sure the software you get (adobe premiere or something else) supports it. it worked on my jvc camera.

don't try it via any other method, because firewire is by far the best method. it's straight digital.

edit: oh wait, i see your latest post. you have to configure it in premiere to the right type of device. see if there's a Sony generic setting if it doesn't have one specifically for you.

I ended up taking my camera to work to see if it feed video there through the Firewire port on it thinking that maybe the port on the camera was damaged. It worked perfectly.

After searching forums like a madman i've found that people who also have this issue exactly like mine have had success by reformatting thier system. :[. I was hoping TW would have the answer cause I hate not knowing why it won't work.

Anywho think ill try and remove the firewire card I have from my system, uninstall premier, uninstall drivers for camera. Then reinstall and see if that works before format.

Thanks for the help though.
-SpidershocK[nCn]

The camera should show up in device manager when it's connected and in VTR mode, regardless of what software you use. If that isn't happening, it's a driver or hardware problem.

I record stuff off my vcr/dvd onto the camera then from the camera to the computer. That's really the easiest way if your end product is going to be DV.

edit: I doubt you can go straight through your DVR to the computer. You'll probably have to go onto a tape then from the DVR to the firewire input.

Last edited:
NAT Mav said:
The camera should show up in device manager when it's connected and in VTR mode, regardless of what software you use. If that isn't happening, it's a driver or hardware problem.

I didn't read your post :-\ but that was the problem its a driver issue.

What I ended up doing was I turned the DVR on and then in Device Manager did "Uninstall". Afterwards I rebooted my machine and turned the DVR back on once windows was loaded, it found the driver and reinstalled and viola I could record again.

There is a CATCH though. If I turn the DVR off after i've captured something and then turn it back on to capture something again the software won't capture, it will just freeze like before. So I have to reboot my system and then it will start working again. Its definatly a driver issue. I don't think MS has updated those imaging drivers either in a while. If you look at the driver information its all the way from 2001!!!

Anyone know if theres an update somewhere for Camera drivers?

Glad atleast that I narrowed it down to one thing without having to reformat.

Too bad I didn't read your post early Mav :-(. Guess the reason it took me so long to figure out it was a driver issue is that when it would freeze i'd turn off the camera it would unload the driver in device manager and I wouldn't see it there. Once I figured how to get it to show it was pretty simple.

So in the end TW had the answer. And as a result the world can continue for one more day.

-SpidershocK[nCn]

Back