Help me find out why my computer spontaneously shuts down

FrogNettle

Veteran X
okay so I have a computer I built about 2 years ago,(you probably don't remember the thread I made on the subject) and since then it's been running great, until now. I decided to install windows onto another drive only to discover it was damaged. So I tried to boot up on my main HDD and found that the windows installation was damaged...

Now each time I boot up I'm given 2 versions of windows to load, but I'm lucky to get that far because now my computer just shuts down on bootup.

I'll be happy to supply the necessary information upon request. thanks ahead of time for the support.

recent developments: My computer now won't post to the monitor upon boot up.

the OS was XP pro x64 sp2 i believe
and there is no safe mode option.

recent developments: My computer now won't post to the monitor upon boot up.

the OS was XP pro x64 sp2 i believe
and there is no safe mode option.
Really?? No safemode option??
Reboot and start taping F8 and let us know what you get..
If you cannot get into safemode, then reboot and start taping 'Del' key and see what you get(BIOS hopefully)..
Did you disconnect/remove your 2nd HD??

Last edited:
Really?? No safemode option??
Reboot and start taping F8 and let us know what you get..
If you cannot get into safemode, then reboot and start taping 'Del' key and see what you get(BIOS hopefully)..
Did you disconnect/remove your 2nd HD??

ok I just disconnected all IDE devices and managed to get to boot up screen, coincidentally it said I was in safemode and to enter BIOS to adjust CPU frequency, or something.

I connected just my CD/DVD drive booted up and got to the point where Windows disk should have started loading from the CD drive, then BAM, shut down.

and yes all HDD's are removed at this point

another interesting thing of note: nothing posts to monitor when I plug in the HDD, but once disconnected, I can get to the CMOS loadscreen where it tells my the system is in safemode and to RESET the CPU frequency. not really sure what that noise is all about.

ok I think I found the culprit:

my HDD is fried. I think this happened when I UNPLUGGED AND PLUGGED IN THE DRIVE WHILE THE CPU WAS RUNNING. yeah, lesson learned.

Back