Help from those that have built their own computer before.

[WASP]

Veteran XX
I need some ideas on motherboard (AMD) and a case that is plenty big but not ultra spendy. I plan to have CDRW and DVD and good vid card but need to know about power supply wattage and what is the best bang for the buck.

In the end I will install watercooling for performance OC also plan to do cutout and lights.

im not your man, but i will say that you probably need to pre-define such terms as 'plenty big' and 'ultra spendy'

nolt said:
im not your man, but i will say that you probably need to pre-define such terms as 'plenty big' and 'ultra spendy'

I'd like to keep the case cost down around $150.
The mobo about the same.

=NEEC= Tummy said:
Compusa has a good 400 watt power supply for about 70.00. Its a damm good deal.

That sounds good but a lot of cases come with a power supply and I wonder if that is the best way to go? Some cases have a 350W some have 400W. I gotta find out how much I'll need. :p

antec case or cheap antec clone (like chieftec)
the antec power supplies are quality.. so if you can get a bundle deal for a good price you're set. otherwise maybe a sparkle powersupply

zodie said:
antec case or cheap antec clone (like chieftec)
the antec power supplies are quality.. so if you can get a bundle deal for a good price you're set. otherwise maybe a sparkle powersupply

*edit i would go for a 400watt

i bought my whole comp from google gear :D

they had the best prices on processors (i got a retail 1800+)

The Antec case looks like it has plenty of room for hardware and a nice cutout. The PS is bigger than most I've looked at too. I've looked at the Asus motherboards and they have a A7V333 that is lookin' good to me.
I'll check on the Neonlight case....Thanks much for the input:p

[WASP] said:
Would you buy the same if you had it to do over?

Hmm.

No.

Not that it isn't a good board... I've just learned that I hate onboard anything. I probably would've gone w/ the epox (which is also good for OCing).

In addition, I'd rather have gone w/ another dual proc system... my last system was a dual P3 500 @ 550, and while this new XP1900+ is faster, it doesn't have the horsepower that a dually does for doing lotsa shit at once.

I may be unusual in that I watch TV listen to winamp unzip rars convert ISOs burn CDs and play tribes all at the same time tho ;)

I thought sparkle was a really shitty ps brand. Have things really changed that much in the last year? :|

I would recommend an Enermax psu

I've had NO problems with my 350w

and I run 2 optical drives
5 80mm fans
2200+
GF3
2 7200rpm hdd's

works fine :)

Back