Health Insurance

FireStarter

Veteran XX
Well a co-worker/buddy of mine got hit on Sunday riding his motorcycle. Of course whoever hit him, didn't even get out of their car to help him out, instead drove away from the scene. He ended up going to the hospital because he started to cough up blood but was hesitant to go because he doesn’t have any health insurance. Well long story short, he ended up having his spleen removed and had to stay in intensive care for at least two nights, maybe more depending on the Doctor plus probably another few days in general care. All this care while not having health insurance!!

Well all this scared the shit out of me and recently I was notified that I was no longer covered under my parent's insurance and right now I am working full time and going to school part time. The place I work really doesn't offer jack as it's just a small business so I am basically just searching around looking for something half way descent but won’t put a huge strain on my current finances.

Question is; what are you guys using for health insurance? I am 23, I don’t take any medications, and I don't smoke. Basically, I am in fine health.

*cliffs*
-buddy got hit on cycle
-scares me into getting my own health insurance
-want ideas on what you guys have?

Last edited:
Depending on where you live, you will pay anywhere from $75-150 a month for health + dental. Chose a large deductible and it will lower your out of pocket monthly payments. If you have a major accident or illness you will pretty much pay the deductible in the first day/week anyhow so $2500 isn't that big of a number.

fuckin pussy

i dont think you realize what kind of a effect a minor accident can have on your life. We are talking about $30-50K in hospital bills which probably wouldn't even include the cost of the doctors' fees. You will feel like the "fuckin pussy" for not having it when you need it!

Last edited:
I was 25, pretty much in the same boat when I (fortunately) got hired on permanent (but still part-time) and received health insurance as a benefiit.

Anyways to make a long story short, I wound up in the hospital for a week after getting pretty sick. I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes.

That being said, health insurance is definitely the route you want to go. It's been awhile since I researched covering myself. But there are lots of options that avenue.

I would pursue benefits through where you're working now. As a full-time employee, most companies will have some sort of health-insurance progam you can participate in and company-sponsored benefit programs are more affordable than going it alone.

If your company doesnt offer benefits, I'd suggest looking for a different job. If thats not an option at all, some companies (like UPS) offer benefits to their part time employees.

My brothers best friend was in an accident. It was the other drivers fault and neither person had insurance. My brothers friend sustained serious injuries and racked up over 100k in medical bills. He's still paying them off almost 6-7 years later.

You may be healthy now, but you never know what's going to happen. Get the insurance. If you live in the northeast, plan on paying $300/m for a single plan. It usually costs between $300-$600/m for a good single plan. I heard the mid-west is much cheaper.

when my appendix popped at the start of the year, it was about a month after i got married. I was pretty worried there for a bit, because i hadn't sorted that junk out. But turned out that my coverage was good for 2 months on my parents after i got married then i would have been screwed.

me and the wife now all sorted out.. hell month or so ago i got an invite to sit in a room, drink coffee and eat cake and chat about my health insurance company for some audit they were doing (group of about 8-9 other dudes + rep from survey company employed by health insurance company). Got 50 bucks for doing it. Was kinda interesting.

(btw mine is 190 bucks a month (AU), me and the wife. covers about 95% of stuff... will need to upgrade it for kids in a few years. But everything else (eyes, dental etc) covered for now.)

Last edited:
My brothers best friend was in an accident. It was the other drivers fault and neither person had insurance. My brothers friend sustained serious injuries and racked up over 100k in medical bills. He's still paying them off almost 6-7 years later.

You may be healthy now, but you never know what's going to happen. Get the insurance. If you live in the northeast, plan on paying $300/m for a single plan. It usually costs between $300-$600/m for a good single plan. I heard the mid-west is much cheaper.
Neither had car insurance? Nor uninsured motorist (which I don't know if that covers medical, but I would think it would)? And in any case, if the other driver was at fault, that is a civil suit that any lawyer would jump on in a heartbeat...

Your company doesnt offer any insuracne at all? find a new job your current employer is a cheap ass.

I have 18 employees and I pay for their coverage and if they want to add family its a reasonable rate. Sure it cost me some money now but my employees are happy and healthy :D. My insurance agent was telling me about a program they are rolling out inconjunction with 24 hour fitness for discounted memberships which inturn would lower my deductible.

we have a public health system in Aus too.. but i still want health insurance. Its about wanting the best doctors and the least fuss.

we have a public health system in Aus too.. but i still want health insurance. Its about wanting the best doctors and the least fuss.

I don't think we have a good private health care in Canada, because the richer people usually goto the States for their needs.

pretty sure canada has some sort of free health care plan, I know I was on it for a bit..now I pay about $25 cnd a month that is deducted from my check by my employer..its a pretty good plan.

well, here the private is pretty good. I mean its a health system, so it always needs more cash in one way or another. but its a case that its not rich people only. I mean, me and the wife are phd students and we can afford it. So its certainly not a rich persons deal.

Back