HDTV and HTPC people, couple basic questions before I buy my new set(Sammy B650)

Urraca

Veteran XX
So, I pretty much decided that I'm going to buy a Samsung LN40B650 for my bedroom, right now Amazon has it for $1188 with free shipping, I kind of want to pull the trigger, but may wait longer (especially if these new 2009 Vizio XVT series TVs keep getting decent reviews). I have a couple questions about this set, or just in general TVs that have USB ports in general.

1) Pretty sure the answer to this is yes. This model has a built-in tuner, I still need an additional settop tuner from Comcast to get all my digital TV/HD TV correct?

2) Assuming the above question is a yes, are you able to build a HTPC with a TV tuner card, so that you do not need an additional tuner card? I want to do this anyway, so I can make my own DVR using media center.

3) Concerning playing videos from USB sticks, is .mkv the only file format that works? Can I just throw on some dvd rip .avi , I'm assuming no due to codecs? Also, does any USB mass storage device, say I want to put .mkv files on 1TB portable hard drive.

4) Ideally, I would be able to download all the videos to my desktop, and stream them to my computer. What is the most elegant way to do this? This TV has built-in ethernet, which would make it easy, but I'm not running cat5 up to my bedroom, so a WiFi Dongle would have to do.

But I'm thinking this settop box that is coming out soon, will be able to do everything I need it to do. It will stream/playing any video/audiophile I could possibly need with a bunch of awesome built in features as well.

1080p High Definition Home Theater PC (HTPC) | Ultio | MvixUSA

1. the tv will get clear qam, which is your unencrypted cable. don't expect it to be as elegant as your comcast receiver. it won't have the channels nicely organized, have ppv, or all your channels. the quality of what you do get would be identical however.

2. you can either use the aforementioned clear qam (which is what most people do) or you can use the comcast receiver with a ir channel switcher and a hd capture card. clear qam is the obvious choice unless you want encrypted or ppv chans.

3. don't know, would have to google.

4. you would have to check the compression abilities, wifi might not be able to handle it if the stream isn't mildly compressed.

buying one vs diy is always a consideration. that's up to you. i like the diy method, but then again i'm a geek and i'm poor.

Back