Having Trouble Connecting Comp to HDTV

DoctoR WanG

Veteran X
Hey gang. Bought a 37" Westinghouse 1080p monitor today and bought a dvi cable to connect it to my desktop pc. My gfx card is a nvidia 6800GT, I'm thinking possibly my card isnt up to par to run on such a large screen because when I fire up the comp I can see the screen but it flickers and everything is barely legible. Tried messing with nvidia software, screen properties, etc, nothing works. So my options as I see it are:

1) Try S-Video or VGA and deal with shitty picture
2) Wait a couple months to buy a new gfx card

Hopefully someone here knows alot about this. Thanks in advance :)

I am not very experienced with hdtv on computer, but your Westinghouse could be in a tv mode. It should auto-select the input source so make sure your DVI cable is plugged into the right monitor port (assuming you have more than 1 dvi input). You can do this from your OSD which should be constant regardless of video source.

One more piece of advice would be to make sure you hit the 'auto' button to 'recalibrate' your screen. I have fixed weird graphical glitches by hitting auto before.

your video card should not make a difference until you get to high resolutions. Check your card specs to see if it can do the resolution of your monitor, which should be around 1900x1200. It should do it no problem. You could always run your computer at 1280x768 which all cards should do and all lcd's should accept.

Back