[Hardware] Need some help.

How in the piss hell do you expect to upgrade a motherboard, processor, ram, and video card with six hundred dollars.

That's a grand even on a budget.

if you want it to handle up and coming games 'without too much trouble' you're really not going to be able to get something for $400 or $500. $600 woudl be really pushing it.

Ok so aside from the video card which was "far from budget," what is wrong with the stuff that Darkblade just posted?

budget != 2GB ram + intel cpu
budget = 1GB RAM + amd cpu

in case you haven't noticed, i'm saying what you're asking for isn't going to be doable on a $400-600 budget.

Last edited:
Ok, like I said I'm willing to go with a Gig of ram to cut down the price for now, as I'm willing to get a mid end PCI-E card because I can pick up another one down the road to bring the system up.

The biggest concern at this point is to get a system built that has the potential to run coming games. Even if it can't do it right away, upgradability is something that is a must. The most imporant things out of the gate are the motherboard and the processor, then the video card. The other things; HD/RAM/FANS are all things that I can tack on more of as time goes on.

Also, intel is not a requirement, AMD is ok as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm trying to say is this iNVAR... Give me a list of components, build me a theoretical system, and make it a budget system that will meet my requirements. (with the possibility of needing upgrades to do so.)

Last edited:
if you plan on running vista though you really should have that 2gb of memory imho. it's worth the extra money. get a cheaper video card.

wtf do your own research damnit. AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! Sharky Extreme Tom's Hardware - Computer Hardware News, Tests, Ratings and Reviews etc. etc. etc.

the list he has looks ok and has the POTENTIAL to be upgraded in the future. but my main gripe is that video card.

That is the area I have the least amount of background, as it's been WAY too long.

Is the vid card he gave me just too much?

Last edited:
wtf do your own research damnit. AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! Sharky Extreme Tom's Hardware - Computer Hardware News, Tests, Ratings and Reviews etc. etc. etc.

the list he has looks ok and has the POTENTIAL to be upgraded in the future. but my main gripe is that video card.
I just picked front page stuff on newegg, I didn't even bother to look around much.

i just bought the asus board cpu combo at frys

asus mobo pci-e + amd 4800+ = 167
4 gig of pc6400 ram = 167

the setup runs way nicer then my 3 gig intel

Back