Hard Drive misreporting used space?

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I had no luck searching these forums or googling.

Is it possible for a 300GB(or any drive, for that matter) hard drive to incorrectly report the amount of space used?

A little background:
I'm currently building a PC for my friend, and his one and only hard drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB SATA drive, which is connected to the Promise 378 SATA controller on his MSI K8T Neo motherboard. I've just installed WindowsXP, drivers and all Windows updates including SP2; clicking the properties for the NTFS formatted hard drive reports 5.4GB of space used, but it reports the proper number (280GB) for total space. The fact that chkdsk is taking 10+ minutes to move 5% on the "verifying free space" portion, and that the drive is saying that the OS and drivers/updates takes up 5.4GB makes me think that something is wrong.

When I installed the drive, I initially used Maxtor's MaxBlast4 software to create a 100GB partition and a 200GB partition because the WindowsXP install couldn't see the hard drive, and I thought it was because the drive was too big. I finally switched the SATA controller that the drive was connected to from the Via southbridge to the Promise controller, and WinXP suddenly recognized the drive. In the WindowsXP install, I killed those 2 MaxBlast partitions and made 1 partition for the full space of the drive. Is related to my problem? Can I fix it without losing the WinXP install and having to recreate the partition?

Any information would be appreciated.

Back