Gunsmithing with a 3D printer

At least a plastic toy gun would go through a metal detector.

Why dont we have carbon fibre guns with ceramic sleeved barrels or some shit?

Because the breach would explode, sending pieces into the operators face.

On second thought thats a great idea, give it a shot!

For fuck's sake... the problem isn't the pathing of the head, digital, or analog. The problem with 3D printers and surfaces is the layer thickness. There is a minimum deposition thickness which fucks up the vertical resolution. This is what makes printed objects look stepped. It has nothing to do with curves as it will happen anytime you have surface that is a few degrees off from horizontal, even if it is a a flat plane.

At last someone with some actual sense enters the thread.

...except that 'proper' 3D printers don't so much "lay down a bead" as they do coalesce the form within a fluid.. eg a pair of lasers firing through a liquid, which solidify that liquid where they meet.

well 'proper' 3D printers are probably servo driven too so that takes the stepper motor out of the equation

and nothing in this thread has anything to do with "proper" 3D printers, particularly not the OP link's Stratasys, which operates exactly as I described.

go on believing that 3D printed parts are stepped because "it's a digital system."

So.. it deposits a layer down in two dimensions, then moves the print head and that layer apart in the third, before repeating the process? It moves the surface down (or the head up) by a fixed amount, determined primarily by the size of 'blob' the print head lays down, and controlled by the programming in the computer that's driving it.

yes? ;)

PS, yes I do realise that the 'stairstep' typical of 'cheap' 3D printers is entirely down to the medium being used, and that the 'digitalness' of it is wayyyy down the list of concerns.

PS, yes I do realise that the 'stairstep' typical of 'cheap' 3D printers is entirely down to the medium being used, and that the 'digitalness' of it is wayyyy down the list of concerns.

That's exactly what I was saying. The poor resolution has (practically) nothing to do with the digital vs. analog nature of the system, it's due the limitations of the medium.

Back