[Guns] Mosin Nagant

SephirothCat

Veteran X
So i was thinking about picking one of these up. I was wondering if there are any owners of this rifle out there with any recommendations on things to check or what to look at.

I checked a bit online and saw a lot of info on head space gauges and how to check head space as well as how to clean them etc.

There is a really big gun show in my area coming up next weekend and was thinking of ordering the head-space gauges and firing pin gauge. This way i can check it before it buy it.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? They seem like they are really fun to shoot.

very hard to find one with good barrel. bring a pull through barrel cleaner and a tiny flashlight. open bolt, stick flashlight in chamber and look down barrel after quick cleaning. gotta look for pitting and condition of rifling

They are bolt guns...they don't have enough rounds through them to wear out a barrel. The rifles that are available are retooled. Most recovered went through sorting after the war. there is alot of information on these things. I have owned several of them with no bad barrels. Sold them all though..they make great fun guns and you can hunt with them. Probably good enough to bring down any game in the world.

they suck to shoot and they are getting harder to find. I can think of better use of the money.

i meant they are hard to find for the cheap prices as they are going up..

you can find anything at a gun show for an incredibly marked up price..

Thats the way we USED to buy arms, that and man to man. Not your god damned online stores...after shipping and then the max transfer fee... tell me all the $$$ you just didn't save.

my last 3 guns i bought were from a gun store in my neighborhood, the 2 before that were private sales face 2 face. My Gun place charges $10 xfer. I dont know wtf you are raging about but my gun stores prices beat most online stores so *Shrug*

Ammo though, Yeh i buy that online lol

Tehvul has one.

Yes I do and it's awesome. 1955 Romanian. Got mine for $75 from a cop neighbor of mine.

2m4f7s6.jpg

They fire corrosive ammo so be sure to clean after you go shooting. Also the hex are worth more than the rounded. There are a ton of vids on YouTube so have at it. Happy hunting!

open bolt

It's just as easy to completely remove the bolt that way you can get a better look.

they suck to shoot and they are getting harder to find. I can think of better use of the money.

It's a great gun to shoot and if they are getting harder to find then that is wonderful. Profit is always a welcome sight.

Last edited:
My nugget.

H7Z9Q.jpg

Anything and everything to know about nuggets.

7.62x54r.net

Most anything you shoot will be corrosive so make sure to clean the barrel immediately after shooting. Good luck if you have to clean the cosmoline out of yours. That shit is gross. Worth it to have someone else do it for you. Mine was $125 at the time because they cleaned it all up for me.

EDIT: Stuff you need to know for AK AR and Nuggets.

Last edited:
I bought one a few years back that had a good barrel and action but jacked up wood for like 50$- replaced the wood with a modern synthetic stock and it works great. Downside is that it now is super light and kicks like a mule. Oh well.

As mentioned above look for a barrel that looks reasonably not jacked up and you'll be happy.

Pictured at the top

"They shoot corrosive ammo" is only true if you use the Russian TulAmmo crap...the primers are corrosive.

They were also designed to shoot steel-cased ammo and not brass.

Steel has a tendency to expand more than brass when heated; if you use a brass-cased cartridge make sure you aren't leaking gas backwards. This is the same reason you wouldn't want to shoot steel-cased ammo out of an American gun. The headspacing will be off and you'll get gas/soot leaking back into the bolt area which will clog up the gun quickly and lead to jamming and failure to feed.

Last edited:
"They shoot corrosive ammo" is only true if you use the Russian TulAmmo crap...the primers are corrosive.

They were also designed to shoot steel-cased ammo and not brass.

Steel has a tendency to expand more than brass when heated; if you use a brass-cased cartridge make sure you aren't leaking gas backwards. This is the same reason you wouldn't want to shoot steel-cased ammo out of an American gun. The headspacing will be off and you'll get gas/soot leaking back into the bolt area which will clog up the gun quickly and lead to jamming and failure to feed.

good post

Back