[GUNS] Buying my first AR-15 (suggustions needed)

Rooster!

Contributor
Veteran XX
So I've spent the past week reading ar15 forums and I'm pretty sure i'm WAY more confused than when I started. One thing I do know, is I don't want a Colt or Daniel Defense just due to price, at least for now...trying to spend about 1k new or would consider a 6940 if I can find it cheap enough lightly used. I don't know much about buying used guns though, all of mine are either hand me downs from my father or purchased new.

To preface, I own a number of rifles, but hunting specific (30.06, 30-30, black powder, a couple of shotguns and varmint guns) , no carbines. I know lots of people suggest 7.62 but I'm perfectly fine with a 5.56. This is just a fun shooter for me to play with and maybe some day enter a competition or two if I really like it.

I've narrowed down my options to two guns that I really like, HOWEVER I'm curious if anyone can talk me out of them. Two accessories I am interested in are forward grip and houge style grip. Totally on the fence for optics so I'll take recommendations on that if you have time. I'm actually interested in anything you have to say about them in general.

Stag Arms Model 3 NEW (1/9 twist, would prefer 1/7 for the versatility but I can live with it). This gun is also rebranded as the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 but you pay a premium for some reason (name? not really sure why)

The PLUS package offers a 4150 barrel and 1/7, as well as some other goodies for 100.00 (worth it?) They also offer a drop in .22lr conversion kit to shoot on the cheap.

For those wanting a rifle with extra testing and also with features for the constant firing of 5.56 ammunition Stag Arms offers the Plus Package. This package includes individual Magnetic Particle (MP) and High Pressure (HP) testing of the bolt and barrel, upgraded barrel steel, and other features listed below. Available only as a complete package.

Stag Arms standard carbines (Model 1, 2, 2T, 3, 8 and their left-handed equivalents) feature:

- Carpenter 158 shot peened Bolt with black extractor spring
- Shrouded full circle AR15 bolt carrier with side staked carrier key
- 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with chrome lining, 1/9 twist, double lead lapped, and parkerized under the front sight base
- F marked front sight base with taper pins
- Double heatshield handguards
- Mil-Spec size 7000 series aluminum receiver extension with staked receiver nut (also known as castle nut)
- One (1) 30rd USGI Magazine*

In addition to our standard features listed above the Plus Package includes:

- 4150 barrel steel chrome lined
- 1/7 Twist rifling
- M4 feed ramps
- Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
- M-16 Bolt Carrier
- Heavy (H) buffer assembly
- One extra 30rd USGI Magazines (two total)*

or

Rock River Arms TO2

Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2

1/9 twist but w/e...about 1k as well, has a bunch of free shit with it thrown in at the moment.

Check out the bravo company website. They have some good deals.

I built my own a few months ago and it cost me more in the long run but I wanted a lefty that wasn't pure Stags.

one thing that sucks is i live in hippy CA so i have to get a CA version LAR (worry about features vs featureless; bullet button, 16+", grips, etc)

why do you want 1/7 over 1/9 out of curiosity?

Last edited:
one thing that sucks is i live in hippy CA so i have to get a CA version LAR (worry about features vs featureless; bullet button, 16+", grips, etc)

why do you want 1/7 over 1/9 out of curiosity?

Two reasons

a.) I'd like to use the gun for longer range target shooting and maybe competition as I'd mentioned. 1/7 shoots heavier bullets and is ideal for longer range shots

b.) Everything I've read shows that should I ever actually want/need to shoot someone with this gun, the heavier grain bullets that the 1/9 won't shoot cause significantly more damage.

Essentially a best of both worlds for me in this case from what I can tell. Most higher end AR15s seem to predominantly shoot w 1/7, possibly due to people using them for precision distance shooting. I'm sticking with a chome lined barrel just because it's a lot cheaper than a good SS and I don't know that I'll use the better barrel yet...if I get to that point, I can always upgrade.

when do you plan to buy your second AR-15?

Whenever I decide that I've outgrown whatever 1k AR I settle on I guess. From what I understand AR building can become something of an addiction. Not sure if it'll happen but I love guns like you love penis so the possibility is always there.

Last edited:
Check out the bravo company website. They have some good deals.

I built my own a few months ago and it cost me more in the long run but I wanted a lefty that wasn't pure Stags.

I have to second Bravo Company. They are probably one of the more respected AR-15 dealers. They are a tad pricy, but they have top quality stuff.

Some of my suggestions:

Flat Top. I'd either get a set of flip up iron sigths, or do without them completely. I hate co-witness, if you're going for a scope or other optics I'd not bother with iron at all.

Free Float barrel. If you're aiming (pun intended) for sub MOA, this would probably be the #1 option to have.

For a foregrip, I'm not a big fan of them. Otherwise, I'm fine with stock pistol grips, some people hate them but I've been using them for 30+ years so I'm not picky.

I'd definitely get a 5.56MM. You can run .223 in a 5.56MM, but you can't run 5.56MM in a rifle chambered for .223. I'd prefer the versatility.

For optics, I'd definitely go with a red dot style with a short barreled rifle. The Trijicon RMR sights are an option, along with the EoTech or Aimpoint stuff.

Shrug, the AR stuff is so personal, and too many companies are offering options for it, it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Yeah I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what is good. BC was an option but they're pricy, and I'm looking to land around 1k when everything is said and done for a new or very low use rifle. I looked at Daniel Defense and Noveskie (sp) stuff in addition to Colt as well but it seem tough to get anywhere near my price range

You can go with companies like DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, or any of the other common builders, but they're not going to perform as well as what you've outlined as your goals. There are literally dozens of boutique builders out there, all offering systems about the same price range. I'd have expected prices to come down with so much competition, but that hasn't really happened as much as I'd think they would.

For the 1K price range there's nothing wrong with a company like RRA, but you'd have to realize you're getting a mid level rifle that will be "adequate" for general use. If that's what you're looking for, then great.

Check some local gun forums. I got me a Bushmaster A3 for $700 on a Colorado forum with only 100 rounds through it.

Last edited:
I'm really leaning toward the Stag or S&W if i can find one at the right price. Most of the AR15 forum threads seem to all love the gun for it's price point. I have 0 experience buying from sites like Gunbroker and the like so I'm not sure what a "good" deal is and what isn't.

ok thanks...don't think i've read much on that website yet...here's to another week of wasted life :)

I better love this fucking gun when I'm done picking it out.

Gandalf any reccomendations on optics < 200? most of the EOTECH stuff is >400 unless it's available cheaper on the used market?

Back