Guitar players: Getting rid of the dreaded buzz....

Drudge

Veteran X
I've been playing for a bit now but never really learned to setup the guitar. I have a nice and cheap epi lp special. I was changing the strings and noticed that the second string buzzes pretty noticeably. I've tried to avoid messing with the action up until now but it's irritating enough where I need to do something about it.
Do I want to be lowering or raising the strings (Is this even what I need to do?) I'm a newb when it comes to this.

Go to a shop and get it set up for $20 and another $10 for new strings

They'll probably lower the action which means you won't be able to use the whammy but it'll be 10x easier and funner to play

It'll also stay in tune longer

Best $20 you'll ever spend

i would get some 10 gauge strings and see about getting a new string seperator for the headstock. sometimes those wear down and leave the strings too close to the frets.

buzz can be caused by pickups, the amp, the strings or alot of other things. i would start with the cheapest option (strings), and work your way up. pickups are usually the culprit though.

Last edited:
it is your action or pickups. you should be able to tell if your strings are too low--naturally if thats the case then it is the action.

FireStorm! said:

They'll probably lower the action which means you won't be able to use the whammy but it'll be 10x easier and funner to play

If you don't know what you should be doing, do this. But while you there ask them if you can watch (if they're not uber busy, of course).

FireStorm! said:

This man knows what he is talking about.

Most guitar players aren't guitar techs, and god knows i don't wanna be one. I can change strings and thats about it. I would prefer to spend 20 bucks and have it sound great, then spend 4 days trying to fix my fuck ups.

it's not too bad, there are specific specs for action, intonation, and the tremrod (for each model/brand), all you need is a mini mechanical ruler and allen wrenches, takes like 30 mins :[

I usually use GHS rollerwound Low-Tunes, 13-58...only cuz SRV and my teacher of 12 years used them and it has insane tone, but if I dont play alot it hurts like a motherfucker.

Mael said:
This man knows what he is talking about.

Most guitar players aren't guitar techs, and god knows i don't wanna be one. I can change strings and thats about it. I would prefer to spend 20 bucks and have it sound great, then spend 4 days trying to fix my fuck ups.

Or you can screw around with it and eventually figure it out for yourself. If you mess things up too bad you can just pay the $20 and listen to them bad mouth you as they fix it.

I adjust things all the time on my guitars, especially my travelling guitar.

FireStorm! said:

Yeah, those whammy bars on Epi LP's are to die for. I can't think of a time I haven't used my whammy bar on my LP copy ...oh wait.

Seriously though, aside from the mystery whammy bar that doesn't exist, follow his advice. Spend the $20 and take it to a shop.

I have a sign hanging on the door to my workshop that says "we repair what your son fixed"

Don't just change the strings.. your truss rod is set up for a certain gauge string. If you change it then it needs to be adjusted... A good rule of thumb is 30 lbs. If you have 9 gauge strings and you switch to 10 gauge you just hung a 30 lbs brick off the end of the neck that can and WILL snap the neck or at least warp/twist it if you leave it alone.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing,

please.

Alvarez said:
I have a sign hanging on the door to my workshop that says "we repair what your son fixed"

Don't just change the strings.. your truss rod is set up for a certain gauge string. If you change it then it needs to be adjusted... A good rule of thumb is 30 lbs. If you have 9 gauge strings and you switch to 10 gauge you just hung a 30 lbs brick off the end of the neck that can and WILL snap the neck or at least warp/twist it if you leave it alone.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing,

please.

Exactly. Do NOT just throw on some 12 gauge strings without having an expert set it up for you.

I remember experimenting with a crappy old Yamaha that had a floating tremelo, and I had to throw in an extra spring in the back to be able to move up in size on the strings.

I still hadn't set it up quite right myself, as I discovered when I took it to the shop and was mildly chastised. :blush:

Back