Guitar players:Best amp for $150-$250

Drudge

Veteran X
I don't want to spend more than $250 on an amp at least 60W. I'm looking for an amp that has some versatility along with a nice tone. I have a boss me-30 so effects aren't too important. Anyone have any opinions?

i have a peavy bandit 112S, works just fine for practicing, been playing for like 12 years. i mainly play metal

I've used line6 since 1999.

Starting with a line6 HD (First series, 300w stereo head)
Switched to a PODpro/Carvin poweramp later on. (Use it with a modded marshall 1960 4x12 cab)
Before that I used a marshall DSL2000 100w tube head.

I dont think I'd use anything else. I would like an XT though...

Of course the practice amps wouldnt be any good for live or professional use, but for practice amps they are excellent.

To Drudger
Depends what you are going for, but if you want a range of sounds for around that price:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/482244/

Looked around didnt really find anything else worth a damn.
As para said you could find a fender solid state combo for about that price that could do you well...

Check out the Peavey Bandit 112 series. You can get them pretty cheap, especially from eBay.

I have several amps.

One is a Fender Pro Junior, got it off ebay for about $200. It has 15W and a 10" speaker, probably too small for you. It has tremendous tone.

Another is a Fender Blues Deluxe, got it off Ebay for $350. 40W, 12" speaker, and loud enough to rip your head off. This is a great amp and has great tone, both clean and overdrive.

Another is an old Kalamazoo Bass 10, around 18W with 2 10" speakers. Loud, but has crappy overdrive sound when you crank it. Got it from a friend for $100. Sounds great for bass and clean guitar, unless you run a Tube Screamer into it. From there it sounds great.

Another is a Mesa Tri-Axis with a 2:Ninety going into a 4x12. Probably about $2k for the whole shebang. Louder than God - and I'm not exaggerating. Seriously loud. I have never, ever, ever had the need to turn it up past 3 or 4. Tone from the heavens. Overkill for anything I've ever done. Too much to lug around, too.

If you have $300 to spend, you can get a good Blues Junior for $250 used and it's a tone machine. Seriously, stay away from Peavey - crappy sound.

Blues Juniors on Ebay

Back