Google Voice is launching soon

and so google takes over another part of communications

one of these days they'll make a supercomputer that tries to merge with a guy with bio implants and we'll be thrown back into the dark ages

I don't get this. Is like almost like an OS that you install on your phone, a service you install on your phone, how the hell does this work...that link just describes the features. I have VZW for my phone right now, how would this work with my phone?

With Grandcentral you don't install anything on your phone. You get a free phone number in the area code you want and it will forward calls to your cell phone.

When a call comes in, you have the choice to accept the call or send it to Grand Central voice mail.

With Grandcentral you don't install anything on your phone. You get a free phone number in the area code you want and it will forward calls to your cell phone.

When a call comes in, you have the choice to accept the call or send it to Grand Central voice mail.

or, i could do it without the hassle of the google middleman. sure it has a couple features, just doesn't seem all that useful to have to login to a web page to see what the voicemail says. I can understand the iphone type voicemail being useful where its there on your phone, though

the only thing I see it useful for is having one number for multiple phones. then again, the hassle of a new number is not worth it IMO, especially for most ppl who only have 1 phone (thier cell)

Last edited:
I don't really get it...so does this replace cell phone plans such as with VZW, or is it simply a supplement for them?

it is just a middleman between the callers phone service company and your phone service company

you get a new # through google, and then google routes it to your phone company, this way they get to offer you some free services. these services are useful for some people in certain situations, but IMO, doesn't offer much for the average cell phone user.

at the least, it may encourage phone companies to start thinking about implementing some of these services/benefits

I use grandcentral, but I don't know anything about voice.

It seems that it's going to be a couple days before they open it up to all GC users, I'll test it then.

I love having GC though, I just don't give me people my real number, I give them my GC number. Makes screening calls simple as shit.

Last edited:
i swear to god google is going to make a google robot that will find your fucking keys or remote that you lost somewhere in your house. Anything you move or touch that robot will index it in its hard drive with coordinates and everything.

Back