Google Hangouts 4.0 sucks

SL83

Veteran XV
Let's fix stagefright guys....oh yeah MMS doesn't work anymore.

dafuq?

I'm getting sick of shitty google/android.

i dumped hangouts long ago it is honestly androids biggest blunder and a huge piece of shit

i am huge android fan but yeah this thing blows original google talk was just easy simple they complicated something that didn't need to be integrated w/ mms or sms

there is a sep app called messenger made by google

turn off MMS/SMS for google download messenger and never look at hangouts again

gg

the desktop version of hangouts is even worse i hate the new floating bubble style they stole from facebook messenger it is god awful the only tolerable one is the one built into gmail

also the cool feature 2 draw is p sick

i dumped hangouts long ago it is honestly androids biggest blunder and a huge piece of shit

i am huge android fan but yeah this thing blows original google talk was just easy simple they complicated something that didn't need to be integrated w/ mms or sms

there is a sep app called messenger made by google

turn off MMS/SMS for google download messenger and never look at hangouts again

gg

they integrated them because aspies were flipping out and begging for sms/google vioce integration

blame reddit

There was nothing wrong with the prior version, they change shit for no reason. I used Google Talk for years and was forced to migrate to Hangout. I like chatting with people over data instead of texts. Now there is apparently a Google Messenger that handles texting? Why can't it all be in the same program.

There was nothing wrong with the prior version, they change shit for no reason. I used Google Talk for years and was forced to migrate to Hangout. I like chatting with people over data instead of texts. Now there is apparently a Google Messenger that handles texting? Why can't it all be in the same program.

Messenger is the stock android sms/mms app.

Hangouts recently (not too recently) started allowing you to merge SMS/MMS and Hangouts messages and chat with all your contacts by selecting SMS/Hangouts dropdown.

New version broke it.

I really liked having everything in one app - but it fucking sucks anyway. It's just easy that all my contacts from Gmail are chat ready.

Stock messenger app sucks btw, I just installed Textra for SMS/MMS and I'll be using that.

Just wish there was a really good AIO app.

ugh it is in the same program thats the issue its stupid to integrate it the way they did and the app sucks

messenger isnt the stock one there is a dif one in the market

its designed for old phones that cant run bloated hangouts

ironically its the best messaging app google ever made

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

so technically there are 3 SMS apps made by google (stock android texting one, hangouts, and messenger)

LOL

Nice.

I just pushed it to my phone.

Google Actually Recommends That You Use Messenger for SMS Over Hangouts | Droid Life

I think the stock one is called Messaging then. WTF.

Great, so now I have (facebook) Messenger, (stock) Messaging, (google) Messenger, and Hangouts

for fuck's sake.

whats the beef w/ hangouts i dont get it ??

HHiKRo2.jpg

On android it combined your gchat and sms/text conversations by default until you downloaded a separate app or disabled sms in the settings, which was fucking retarded.

Then they discontinued gchat support and made you switch to hangouts on pc, which has a fucking horrid interface by default(the stupid bubble thing), and the alternate interface has a stupid combined contacts list and conversation window and you have to rclick>pop out to get a separate chat window, but that doesn't remove the conversation part of the interface from the main window, just creates another window. What is so fucking hard about a contacts window and a separate conversation window? Wasn't this standardized a decade ago? Why can they not get that right? Oh, and my gchat contacts was a combination of all the other services contacts that i had imported from other services over the years without issue and when I went to hangouts i lost all but 3 contacts.

On android it combined your gchat and sms/text conversations by default until you downloaded a separate app or disabled sms in the settings, which was fucking retarded.

Then they discontinued gchat support and made you switch to hangouts on pc, which has a fucking horrid interface by default(the stupid bubble thing), and the alternate interface has a stupid combined contacts list and conversation window and you have to rclick>pop out to get a separate chat window, but that doesn't remove the conversation part of the interface from the main window, just creates another window. What is so fucking hard about a contacts window and a separate conversation window? Wasn't this standardized a decade ago? Why can they not get that right? Oh, and my gchat contacts was a combination of all the other services contacts that i had imported from other services over the years without issue and when I went to hangouts i lost all but 3 contacts.

it didn't do it by default, on first launch it asks you if you want it to do that for you

Last edited:
Does Messenger let you send SMS/MMS from a computer as well? I used MySMS for a while to do that, but it had some quirks.

it didn't do it by default, on first launch it asks you if you want it to do that for you

you're probably right, but its still a retarded option. I think I remember thinking it would just list my contacts from both in the app, but it combined my contacts sms and gchat into the same conversation and you couldn't separate them. Why anybody would want that is beyond me.

you're probably right, but its still a retarded option. I think I remember thinking it would just list my contacts from both in the app, but it combined my contacts sms and gchat into the same conversation and you couldn't separate them. Why anybody would want that is beyond me.

long press and select "unmerge"

you can do the same thing to "merge" sms and hangouts conversations

as far as why, I don't want to have 2 threads for each person.

Back