Google Chromecast

EspoMan

Veteran XV
Yeah I'm a little late to the game. I want to pick one up tomorrow. Anyone here have one? What are your opinions of it? I don't have a SmartTV and want to use this for YouTube and Netflix mainly.

Works great for youtube. My WDTV Live is much more powerful and I use it a lot more than the chromecast, but the CC has the best youtube experience.

can you stream your own videos to it?

as of right now, yes-ish, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

once google opens the flood gates and allows anyone to write CC apps, then I would think local content playback may be easier....maybe. Google seems to be closing a lot of holes in their SDK to prevent local content playback.

If playing local content is your biggest concern, get a WDTV Live instead, it is only $65 or so.

Yeah, they're locking it down for the big media partners, Hulu Netflix ETC.

I canceled my order right after local files were patched out.

well, i haven't tried it but as far as i am aware any local media content you can get to play within a chrome browser window can thereby be cast to your tv?

edit, guess software update borked that.

as of right now, yes-ish, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

once google opens the flood gates and allows anyone to write CC apps, then I would think local content playback may be easier....maybe. Google seems to be closing a lot of holes in their SDK to prevent local content playback.

If playing local content is your biggest concern, get a WDTV Live instead, it is only $65 or so.

Hey bro since you mentioned this, I'm now looking into that instead. Seems like a good product. Has it been able to play any video file you've thrown on it?? I "buy" movies online and need a good media player to play them.

I have one and use it a lot. Can basically fire off and stream anything from a website/youtube from your phone or tablet.

Also you can use chrome to open lots of media files or videos from your wired computer's harddrive in a browser tab and send them to the TV. Use the "google cast" extension to do this.

Does it support flash? Can I pull up like the NBC Sports thing for Sunday Night Football and stream that to my TV?

Does it support flash? Can I pull up like the NBC Sports thing for Sunday Night Football and stream that to my TV?

whatever you see in your chrome tab you can see on your tv. i think all it does with the chrome tab casting is essentially produces a stream of the rendered page from your browser to the chromecast. that also means however that if you try to say pull up some unsupported video website and watch something, it will be choppy and laggy, because it cant encode and stream in real time very fast. that's how it was anyway the last time i tried tab casting.

its ok, it only works well with Netflix as I can game on my PC while streaming to my living room tv. Hulu, googleplay and anything else requires me to full screen the tab in streaming.

I use this on my desktop and I have a windows phone so w/e. doesn't work with surface tablets either.

i have one, but almost never use it now. after the netflix discount, it worked out to be $11, so why not....but really the only thing I use it for is throwing a chrome tab on my tv from my laptop. i have a tivo, which has a netflix app that supports the DIAL protocol (same thing the chromecast uses) so I can control it from my phone, etc.

Although I see that HBO Go is now supported, so that is a bonus.

This product sucks until Google stops giving companies like Hulu and Netflix handjobs under the table and allow developers to actually use the SDK.

I just got a Roku. It's a far better device.

i really have no idea what these things are for

i mean i get what they do but i cant come up with a reason to use it when i have an htpc

Cheap HTPC, especially in the case of the Roku which can stream local media through Plex. Hard to beat a $60 HTPC (that's what I paid thanks to Black Friday deals)

might as well get a raspberry pi or something
I guess if your kid has a display or small tv in the room its a cheap device

Last edited:
Back