[Google Buzz] Class Action Lawsuit?

g0ds gReeN

Contributor
Veteran XX
Google Buzz User Privacy Litigation Class Action Settlement Website
In re Google Buzz User Privacy Litigation, Case No. 5:10-cv-00672-JW

A class action Settlement has been reached with Google Inc. ("Google") that resolves litigation about privacy concerns arising out of Google’s social networking program, Google Buzz. The Plaintiffs allege that Google automatically enrolled Gmail users in Buzz, and that Buzz publicly exposed data, including users’ most frequent Gmail contacts, without enough user consent. Google denies the accuracy of Plaintiffs’ allegations and denies that it violated any law or caused any harm by the launch of Google Buzz.

Under the Settlement, Google will establish an $8.5 million Common Fund to fund organizations focused on Internet privacy policy or privacy education, as well as to cover lawyers’ fees and costs and other expenses. Google will also do more to educate users about the privacy aspects of Google Buzz. Since the inception of this litigation, Google has also made changes to Google Buzz that clarify its operation and users' options, including, in particular, changes regarding user information and control over Buzz's privacy settings.

The Class includes all Gmail users in the United States who were presented with the opportunity to use Google Buzz before November 2, 2010. Your legal rights are affected whether you act, or do not act.

79750502.jpg

although ridiculous (SUE SUE SUE), forcing google to be more careful about privacy and users data is a good thing IMO

they have way too much knowledge (even who has wifi on what streets, SSIDs, type of encryption; after denying it they said it was a 'bug' - yeah right)

basically they are the new microsoft

i don't think you do

unless youre a lawyer that worked on the case, or a cost of the suit

you could apply for a job in one of the newly founded organizations to teach privacy stuff

What Are My Options?

* EXCLUDE YOURSELF - This is the only option that allows you to bring your own lawsuit, or be part of any other lawsuit against Google about the legal claims resolved in this Settlement. You must mail your request for exclusion so that it is received no later than December 6, 2010.

* OBJECT - Write to the Court about why you do not like the Settlement. Your objection must be received by January 10, 2011.

* GO TO A HEARING - Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement. Send your Notice of Intent to Appear so that it is received no later than January 10, 2011.

* DO NOTHING - Give up your rights to sue Google about the legal claims in this case and thereby accept the terms of this Settlement.

well if the case is being held in albany ny I'll show up and ask for 50 dollars for my pain and suffering, otherwise no dice.

Back